Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Save Ohio Libraries Follow-Up

A friend in Florida sent me this today, and it's very appropriate.

The late Carl Sagan said it best: "I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries."

The rally at the Cleveland Public Library was well-attended today, with a few hundred people from all over northern Ohio there to support public library funding. Tomorrow, there is a rally at the Statehouse in Columbus, and everyone is to wear red. Now, certainly all of you Ohio State Buckeye fans have red in your closet! It shouldn't be hard to show up wearing red.

And, from what I'm reading on Twitter, you need to continue to show up, and you need to continue to call Governor Ted Strickland at (614) 466-3555, and, most of all, contact your legislators.

The following information is hearsay from people in Ohio who are following Save Our Libraries. I believe Gov. Strickland did an interview with WLW in which he called librarians disingenuous and manipulative when he discussed their tactics in the Save Our Libraries movement. Considering that Governor Strickland is traveling the state today, discussing the importance of education in attracting business to the state, and building the economy, I would consider the governor to be disingenuous and manipulative. Why doesn't he consider libraries important in the role of education in Ohio? Doesn't he understand that businesses move into communities with good libraries?

As I said, this is hearsay information. I understand Governor Strickland isn't at all pleased with the rallies and actions in the state. I believe our President just said people have the right to protest. Does Governor Strickland think that only pertains to Iran?

If you live in Ohio, you don't have long to take action. The budget must be passed by the end of the month. Call Governor Strickland now. More important, contact your legislators.

My favorite sign at today's rally in Cleveland? I READ. I VOTE.

6 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

"Disingenuous and manipulative."

That's a new low in hypocrisy for our Governor. 'Disingenuous and manipulative' is his hand-in-glove, money-in-the-pocket relationship with the nursing home lobby, at the expense of libraries, home care, health insurance, schools and more. I hope we take him down hard.

Lesa said...

Go for it, Corey. After that comment, I have no respect for him. And, he's out there promoting education today, while wanting to cut libraries' funding by 50%. We provide education.

Jim said...

If the Governor said that, he has NO MORE understanding of the American Electorate than Governor Mark Sanford! They are both being HYPOCRITES!!! Where does he think a educated person's education begins? I think he is upset because he is feeling the Political Pressure!

Lesa said...

I agree, Jim. And, librarians will not let up. He doesn't realize Ohio librarians have fought for libraries for years, and they'll continue to fight for them. Come on. If my mother is taking flyers to Curves, there are people in the state who care about libraries. I hope the voters take him down.

beauvallet said...

I understand the need for painful cuts in necessary programs. Like Corey, I don't understand how the only industry NOT facing these cuts is the nursing home industry. They get MORE money in this budget, even though the in-home care programs that are being cut actually save the state millions.

I'm pretty hot under the collar about this whole budget, and really peeved because I voted for the jerk. I won't make that mistake again.

Lesa said...

I think it's possible that Governor Strickland made a mistake this year. I, too, understand the need for painful cuts. But, there's a difference between painful and Draconian. Cuts that totally close public libraries are Draconian.