Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

Debbie Macomber has a formula for her Blossom Street series, and her latest book, Summer on Blossom Street, doesn't depart from that formula. Lydia Goetz, owner of A Good Yarn on Seattle's Blossom Street, offers a knitting class, and a small group of needy people take the class, and find their lives changed. But, it's a successful formula, and the books are heartwarming. So why mess with success?

It's summer, the perfect time to give people the chance to change, so Lydia's new class is Knit to Quit. Phoebe Rylander signs up, trying to get over a man. She's just broken her engagement to a man her mother adores, and she knows she'll be tempted to go back to him. Bryan "Hutch" Hutchinson has a prescription to attend the class. His doctor sent him to it, knowing his patient needed to lower his blood pressure and learn to relax, before his business kills him as it killed his father. And, Alix Turner, already a friend, the baker at the cafe across the street, needs to quit smoking before she and her husband can try to have a baby.

Macomber skillfully brings the group together, and throws in Lydia's friends from earlier classes. Slowly, Macomber is building a group of friends and family for Lydia. It's a close-knit community (pun intended) that comes together on Blossom Street. And, for those of us who are fans, Summer on Blossom Street is one of the stronger entries in the series. It's the type of book we all need occasionally. These are nice people who have troubles, and find a way to work through them. The Blossom Street books are feel good stories. Who doesn't want a book with a happy ending now and then? And, after a few tears and smiles at the end, there's a hint of a continuing story. It's a welcome hint for readers of this charming series.

Debbie Macomber's website is www.debbiemacomber.com


Shop Indie Bookstores


Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. Mira, ©2009. ISBN 9780778326434 (hardcover), 368p.

10 comments:

Scrap girl said...

I really do like the sound of this. It sounds really cute and cosy. I just love the cover. I will check out her other books too.

Lesa said...

Sometimes cute and cosy is perfect. I really enjoyed this book. Susannah's Garden was the only one in the series that I just couldn't get into.

Molly said...

Believe it or not, I have never read a Debbie Macomber book before, but I plan to read Twenty Wishes on the plane to and from BEA this week. I wanted something 'cute and cosy' and I think I might have selected the right book for the moment.

Lesa said...

Molly,

I believe it. I haven't read much Jude Devereaux. We all have the authors we've never picked up. I hope Twenty Wishes fits your moood.

Clea Simon said...

You know, books like this are very comforting. Sometimes you need something that is predictable and yet well done. Thanks for the word, Lesa.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Clea. Thanks for the note!

Clea Simon said...

My pleasure! I'm deep in revisions and your blog is my watercooler break!

Lesa said...

Oh, I like being a watercolor break! Tomorrow, Beth Groundwater interviews one of her characters here.

Debbie said...

I'm such a fan of Debbie Macomber.I saw her speak in Colorado springs this month, an inspiring woman, a gracious woman. If anyone has the opportunity to meet her in person, I'd highly suggest it.

Lesa said...

Thanks for that note, Debbie. I've always had that feeling because she seems to make friends every place she goes. Thanks!