Monday, April 13, 2009

Book Geek Note

Meg Waite Clayton, author of The Wednesday Sisters, tagged me on this on Facebook "because she thinks you might be a book geek, just like her." Well, she's definitely right, but I don't know how to put all of those questions on Facebook as a note, so I'm doing it here on my blog. If you'd like to add your own book geek comments, I'm interested!

Copy the questions into your own note, answer the questions, and tag any friends who would appreciate the quiz.

1) What author do you own the most books by?

I own all four of Louise Penny's books. I have three of Barbara Samuel's, all three of Louise Ure's, and three of Mary Anne Evans'. I own four of J.R.R. Tolkien's. But, I own six of Chris Grabenstein's!



2) What book do you own the most copies of?

I'm not really into owning multiple copies. Jim owns multiple copies of Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and he and I own two copies of Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope, but I think that's it.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

They did? ;-)

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

I wouldn't mind being married to Penny's Armand Gamache. I guess I'm getting old. My favorite character is one who loves and respects his wife, even after years of marriage.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children)?

A book called A Thread of Blue Denim by Patricia Leimbach. It's a book that speaks to my heart, and my sense of home.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?

Probably Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?

If it was so bad, I never finished it. So, I don't have an answer to this question.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?

I'm taking this literally, April to April. I pick Sandra Dallas' Prayers for Sale, although The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins would be a close second.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas, with her book, Tallgrass, a close second.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?

I wouldn't know because I don't read literary fiction. They'll never give the award to my favorite writers, mystery authors.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

Baby Shark by Robert Fate

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

I don't think they'd ever do justice to Chris Grabenstein's Ceepak mysteries.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

I can't remember ever dreaming about a writer, book or literary character.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?

Maybe Erik Torkells' A Stingray Bit My Nipple!, but I can at least say I read it for a review.

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?

George Eliot's Silas Marner. Hated it, hated it, hated it. After that, even in college, I refused to finish books I hated.

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?

Oh, Meg's answer is too good not to copy here. So, from Meg Waite Clayton,

'Are any Shakespeare plays obscure? Obscure, from my dictionary: “relatively unknown”. Where do I sign up for Shakespeare-level obscurity?'

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

Neither. Give me Americans, British or Canadians.

18) Roth or Updike?

Neither. See answer #10.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?

Sedaris.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?

Shakespeare.

21) Austen or Eliot?

Austen!

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?

At the end of the year, I've seldom read any books that make the literary "Best of" lists. I've usually read most of the popular mysteries, though!

23) What is your favorite novel?

The Hobbit

24) Play?

Les Miserables

25) Poem?

You may have tangible wealth untold.
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be,
I had a mother who read to me.

— Strickland Gillilan

Although my mother made a pillow for me, with the last two lines of this poem on it, changing the words to "a father who read to me," and placed a picture of my father reading to me on it.

26) Essay?

It's an essay that tells the story of my life. It's called "Literary Landscapes", and it's from Patricia Leimbach's A Thread of Blue Denim. It begins, "There is a very special sort of young girl who will pass the summer oblivious to heat and household routine, picnics and pool parties, vacation and vexation. She is the asocial creature suspended in the stage between baseball and boys, whose all-consuming passion is books." I used to use this essay for Readers' Theatre. And, I could so identify with this sentence, 'Hauled off on vacation, she will look up from her book long enough to remark, "Oh, are those the Grand Tetons?"' I love that essay, and I can put my hands on the book at anytime from my chair in the living room.

27) And... what are you reading right now?

I'm reading Liars Anonymous by Louise Ure, Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler, and Night Kill by Ann Littlewood.

28) What's the best title for a book ever (you don't have to like the book).

Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. Although I have some runners-up - Sharon Kay Penman's Here Be Dragons, and Nancy Patz' picture book, Pumpernickel Tickle and Mean Green Cheese.

This takes a little time, but I'd love to see other bloggers put it up!

7 comments:

Ann Littlewood said...

Lesa, Loved your "interview" and I am so flattered you are reading Night Kill! Hope you enjoy it. Isn't the cover gorgeous? It just won an award--http://thenewcoveycoverawards.blogspot.com/

Ann Littlewood
http://annlittlewood.com

Cathy said...

I responded to a very similar set of questions, and you can find my answers here.

Lesa said...

Ann,

The cover of Night Kill is gorgeous! Congratulations on the award!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Cathy.

I'm going to check it out! Can't wait to see your answers.

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Lesa,

Like Ann, I'm thrilled you mentioned my books and have fallen for Armand - as have I, actually. A little embarrassing to admit!

Lesa said...

Not at all embarrassing for you, Louise, since he's based on Michael. Maybe a little embarrassing for me if I ever meet Michael!

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,聊天室,情色,a片,AV女優