Thursday, April 30, 2009

The 2009 Edgar Award Winners

Tonight, the Mystery Writers of America announced the winners of the 2009 Edgar Allan Poe Awards, honoring the best in mystery fiction, nonfiction, television and film published or produced in 2008. The Edgar Awards were presented to the winners at the 63rd Gala Banquet at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York City.

Congratulations to all of the winners!

BEST NOVEL

Blue Heaven by C.J. Box (St. Martin's Minotaur)

BEST FIRST NOVEL BY AN AMERICAN AUTHOR

The Foreigner by Francie Lin (Picador)

BEST PAPERBACK ORIGINAL

China Lake by Meg Gardiner (New American Library - Obsidian Mysteries)

BEST FACT CRIME

American Lightning: Terror, Mystery, the Birth of Hollywood, and the Crime of
the Century
by Howard Blum (Crown Publishers)

BEST CRITICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL

Edgar Allan Poe: An Illustrated Companion to His Tell-Tale Stories
by Dr. Harry Lee Poe (Sterling Publishing - Metro Books)

BEST SHORT STORY

"Skinhead Central" - The Blue Religion by T. Jefferson Parker (Hachette Book
Group - Little, Brown and Company)

BEST JUVENILE

The Postcard by Tony Abbott (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)

BEST YOUNG ADULT

Paper Towns by John Green (Penguin Young Readers Group - Dutton Children's Books)

BEST PLAY

The Ballad of Emmett Till by Ifa Bayeza (Goodman Theatre, Chicago, IL)

BEST TELEVISION EPISODE TELEPLAY

"Prayer of the Bone" - Wire in the Blood, Teleplay by Patrick Harbinson (BBC
America)

BEST MOTION PICTURE SCREENPLAY

In Bruges, Screenplay by Martin McDonagh (Focus Features)

ROBERT L. FISH MEMORIAL AWARD

"Buckner's Error" - Queens Noir by Joseph Guglielmelli (Akashic Books)

GRAND MASTER

James Lee Burke
Sue Grafton

RAVEN AWARDS (Appropriately enough, Laura Lippman presented these awards.)

Edgar Allan Poe Society, Baltimore, Maryland
Poe House, Baltimore, Maryland

THE SIMON & SCHUSTER - MARY HIGGINS CLARK AWARD

The Killer's Wife by Bill Floyd (St. Martin's Minotaur)

6 comments:

Jen said...

Go Jeff Parker. I did enjoy that short story! :)

Lesa said...

I have to say, Jen, that I haven't read any of the winners.

Jen said...

Jeff's the only winner I read...as a matter of fact, I think he was the only one on the entire list of nominees that I'd read. I've read a couple of Box's books but not the one that won. I'm still a little skeptical on the nominee choices, but I don't get to have any say in the matter,so... ;)

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Jen. I'd read a couple of the other nominees for the Mary Higgins Clark award, but that's all. I do think the Grand Master choices were terrific, and appropriate, ones.

Like you, I'm not so sure about the nominees, but I don't have a choice either. The Agatha winners will be announced sometime tonight, and I think those are more books that I've read.

There was quite a rant yeserday on DorothyL against the Edgar choices by one of the editors of Stop You're Killing Me. I hadn't read any of the books to know if he was right or not, but I'm always a little surprised when I haven't read any of the books, as many crime novels as I read in a year.

Kay said...

Lesa, I think you and I talked about the fact that so many of the nominee books were unknown to us in January. I actually have a copy of BLUE HEAVEN. I think that is the only nominee that I own. I have read a couple of C. J. Box's series books, but I know this one is a stanalone. I've decided that the Edgars don't usually highlight the type of mysteries that I am drawn to.

Lesa said...

We did have that conversation, Kay. I agree with you. The Edgars usually recognize novels that are more noir or exotic than the ones I prefer. I appreciate the traditional mysteries that are recognized by the Agathas.