Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Salon - Plum Spooky

I've been disappointed by recent books by Janet Evanovich. I couldn't get into Motor Mouth. Fearless Fourteen felt flat and uninspired. There's not enough character development in the short "Between-the-Numbers" books. But, with Plum Spooky, Evanovich has struck gold again.

When Stephanie Plum opened the door to find a monkey named Carl standing there, left while his owner went on her honeymoon, the book looked like it had possibilities. And, why is it that Stephanie has three hunks drooling over her? Soon after Carl arrives, Diesel shows up. He's hunting for an Unmentionable named Gerwulf Grimoire, who goes by Wulf. Wulf has teamed up with an eccentric scientist, and they are leaving dead bodies behind them. Unfortunately for Stephanie, her latest job as a bail bond enforcement agent is to find that scientist, Martin Munch. So, she's stuck with Diesel.

For readers who love Morelli, they'll have to lust from a distance with this book, since Stephanie's long-time cop boyfriend is tied up, working a gang war, and stuck with his brother, who was kicked out of his house, and moved in with Morelli. Between Diesel and Ranger, though, there are hunks to spare.

Only Stephanie Plum would get stuck chasing a vampire-type character into the Barrens, a New Jersey wilderness populated by the Easter Bunny, a man who farts fire, Sasquatch, and the Jersey Devil. There are rockets to spare in this explosively funny novel. Oh, and monkeys. Lots and lots of monkeys, but Carl is the one with personality.

Evanovich successfully rises to the top of her form in Plum Spooky.

Janet Evanovich's website is www.evanovich.com

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich. St. Martin's Press, ©2009. ISBN 9780312383329 (hardcover), 320p.

16 comments:

Sandra said...

That list of characters had me howling with laughter. Sounds like quite a book. Have a nice Sunday.

Scrap girl said...

Sounds like a good book, will keep an eye out for it.

Lesa said...

Yes, Sandra, the list of characters alone would do that. And, I did laugh aloud a couple times while reading it. That's a good book, to me.

Lesa said...

I'm sure you'll see this around, Scrap Girl. I hope you enjoy it.

Yvonne said...

Funny you are reading this one now as I read Plum Lucky this morning. I'm a bit behind, but I love this series. The shorter ones aren't my favorites, but I did enjoy Plum Lucky. Next one for me will be Fearless Fourteen and then I'll get to Plum Spooky. Glad you enjoyed that one.

Lesa said...

I really liked Plum Spooky, Yvonne. And, Plum Lucky was better than some of the others. But, with this one being a full novel, it was meatier than any of the short ones. Loved the eccentric characters.

jaime said...

I also finished this this week, and completely agree! This was much, much better than the other Between-the-Numbers books. And Carl really cracked me up.

wisteria said...

I'm not a fan of Evanovich, but as always your review was great.

Literary Feline said...

I am glad to hear you liked this one, Lesa. I haven't been too impressed with Evanovich's between the number books, I admit. I just recently bought a copy of Plum Lucky since it's now out in paperback.

Lesa said...

Jaime,

Thanks! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has been disappointed in the past by the novellas, but enjoyed the novel. I really enjoyed Carl, but that doesn't mean he has to return then in every book. He was fun in this one.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Wisteria! I appreciate it. And, Evanovich definitely isn't for everyone.

Lesa said...

Well, Wendy, I can't speak for Plum Lucky. It was OK, but it certainly wasn't as funny as Plum Spooky.

caite said...

Hey, the Jersey Devil is real!

I was a fan of Evanovich's earlier books in the series but I agree they went off track somewhere. Glad to read a good review of this one.

Lesa said...

Caite,

And, the Easter Bunny isn't? Yes, Caite, this one is back on track.

Serena said...

I can't wait to get my hands on the audiobook of this one!

Lesa said...

This one is fun, Serena, and I'm sure you'll be laughing at the audiobook!