Friday, December 05, 2008

Pamela Samuels Young, Guest Blogger

Today, I'd like to welcome guest blogger, Pamela Samuels Young. She's an attorney and best-selling author of legal thrillers. Her latest book is Murder on the Down Low. Thanks for stopping by, Pamela!

You Can Fulfill Your Dream!

When I decided nearly a decade ago that I wanted to write a novel, my desire stemmed from what I saw missing in mainstream legal fiction. I loved reading legal thrillers by John Grisham, Scott Turow and other lawyer-writers. It bothered me, however, that the books I read never featured female lawyers or African-American lawyers as main characters. A desire to fill that void prompted me to sit down and take a stab at writing a legal thriller myself.

Almost immediately, I realized that I had stumbled upon my passion! Despite a busy legal career, I woke up at 4 a.m. in the morning to write before work. I'd write at night and all weekend long. If I had a business trip, I'd write in the airport, on the airplane and in my hotel room at night.

Now, to my delight, I have three legal thrillers on bookstore shelves: Every Reasonable Doubt (2006), In Firm Pursuit (2007) and Murder on the Down Low (2008). My newest release, Murder on the Down Low, is about a brazen killer who is targeting some of L.A.'s most attractive, successful family men. When a tenacious female detective sets out to solve the baffling murders, she soon exposes a scandalous tale of lust, lies and vengeance.

Do you have a goal you'd like to pursue? Well, I'm here to tell you that can find the time no matter how busy you might be. Whether you'd like to write a novel, start a business, or go back to school, your dream can become a reality.

First, don't think about what you can't do, think about what you can do. Sit down and map out a plan. Decide what steps you need to take to get from point A to point B. If you only have one hour a week to work toward your dream use it.

It is important to be realistic. You aren't going to accomplish your goal overnight. That only happens in fairy tales. But with a little patience and a lot of hard work, your dream will become a reality. It happened to me, it can happen to you, too!

What Makes a Good Mystery?

Before I became a writer of mysteries, I was a long-time reader of mysteries—in particular, legal thrillers. I like being pulled into a story and having the author introduce me to a character I love (or hate!), then place that character in a predicament that has me biting my nails to find out if they'll escape.

In writing my third legal thriller, Murder on the Down Low, I wanted to write the same kind of suspenseful tale I enjoy when reading books by Walter Mosley, John Grisham, Sandra Brown, Tami Hoag, Valerie Wilson Wesley and Greg Iles, just a few of my favorite mystery writers. In Murder on the Down Low, police in Los Angeles are baffled by the murders of several attractive, successful family men. As it turns out, the victims all share a shocking secret.

I hope readers not only like, but identify with the four female protagonists in Murder on the Down Low. They are sister-friends who share a common goal: avenging the death of a dear friend. When one member of the foursome finds herself in trouble with the law, the women join forces to save her. The book is a suspenseful mystery, full of surprising twists and turns.

After you've read Murder on the Down Low, I would love it if you would drop by my website at www.pamelasamuelsyoung.com and email me your comments about the book, pro or con!

Murder on the Down Low by Pamela Samuels Young. Independent Publishers Group, ©2008. ISBN 9780981562704 (paperback), 386p.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Excellent post. This book sounds fascinating.

Cheryl

Lesa said...

Thank you, Cheryl. It does sound good, doesn't it? And, I love the title.

Joy said...

Oh, I like Pamela! And, I love legal thrillers, so I guess I'm going to have to seek out Every Reasonable Doubt. :) Thank you, Lesa.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Joy. I'm glad Pamela took the time to blog for us.