Sunday, November 09, 2008

Sunday Salon - New Mystery Discoveries

A friend of mine just had an interesting entry about historical mysteries on her blog, Patti's Pen and Picks. Patti loves historical mysteries. My preference lately has been for police procedurals. Her blog entry made me think about my own reading, and the mystery discoveries I made this year.

I read some outstanding mysteries, and I'm sure I'll finish out the year with some intriguing ones. But, what mystery series did I discover for the first time? Out of all of the books I've read so far, I know I'll be returning to four series.

Leighton Gage introduced readers to Mario Silva in Blood of the Wicked. Silva is Chief Inspector of the Federal Police in Brazil, a position that allows him to travel throughout the country. This series is a little more brutal than many I read, but very realistic as to the political and social conditions in Brazil. I'm looking forward to the next one, due out in January, Buried Strangers.

Julie Hyzy's White House Chef mysteries are certainly appropriate right now, with the Presidential election, and all eyes on Washington. This year, she introduced readers to Ollie Paras, who was an assistant chef in State of the Onion. In December, Ollie returns in Hail to the Chef, another mystery that takes us behind the scenes and inside the White House kitchen.








Set in Vancouver, Sandra Ruttan's What Burns Within was a police procedural that introduced three fascinating officers, with their own baggage. The constables are back in the sequel, The Frailty of Flesh. It's already available, burning a hole in my TBR pile.













And, what can I say about Steven F. Havill? I was lucky enough to discover his Posadas County mystery series this year because I was asked to review the latest book, The Fourth Time Is Murder for Mystery News. Fortunately, that is the fifteenth book in a series set in a New Mexico border county. This is a series with a terrific cast of characters, another police procedural. I've already gone back to read the first three, and I'm waiting for the fourth one now.

It's great to have discovered three new authors, along with a new to me author with a whole set of books. It's almost a gift to myself when I discover a new mystery series.

So, those are my new discoveries; Gage, Hyzy, Ruttan and Havill. Three police procedurals. Books set in Brazil, Washington, D.C., Vancouver, and New Mexico. If you're a mystery reader, have you discovered any new series this year? Pass them on!

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love mysteries, too! Right now, they are my favorite genre.

Hope you have a great week!

Jen said...

I'm a fan of the police procedural, but I also love the detective fiction and forensic mysteries. BUT, then again, I'm a sucker for the historical fiction mystery as well. I was going over my 2008 book list and I have read 70 different authors so far this year (101 books). And they are all over the map, all over the time line.

Some of my prize discoveries this year? Thomas Holland - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Kel McKelvey. Michael Stanley - I'm looking forward to the next adventure with Kubu. Craig Johnson and Chris Grabenstein; I adore their humor amidst the seriousness. And Ariana Franklin. She just has such a fabulous female protagonist. So, I have an historical ME, an anthropologist, a sheriff, a couple of police officers.

It's amazing how much diversity is within the mystery genre...and none of what I've read includes cozies, so there's another branch! Wow!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Yvonne! I hope to you have a good week as well.

Lesa said...

Jen, I think my 2008 books are almost as diverse as yours, but I've been discovering how much I enjoy the police procedurals. Isn't it great to have all of that variety just in the mystery field?

Bookish Ruth said...

I love mysteries and have discovered a lot of new-to-me authors this year. I absolutely fell in love with Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series, finally read some of Cody McFadyen (I'll definitely be back for more) and right now I'm really enjoying Burial of the Dead by Michael Hogan.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Ruth! I love to see what books other readers have discovered that I haven't yet. I love the variety of our choices!

Carrie K. said...

I have discovered a new mystery series, but it's only new to me, and I feel like I'm the last one to know! It's the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King. The first one is The Beekeeper's Apprentice and the second is A Monstrous Regiment of Women. I adored them both.

Lesa said...

Don't worry, Carrie. I'm sure you're not the last to know. Plus, now you have a whole series ahead of you, while others just have to wait for the next book. You're better off.