Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday Salon - Books for Holiday Gifts!



The book world, from authors to bookstores to websites and bloggers, is recommending that people give books for the holidays this year. It's going to be a tough year for bookstores, as sales fall, and the economy is lousy. Publishing companies and bookstores are going to be laying people off after the holidays. And, libraries aren't helping as our book budgets are slashed. One of the libraries here in Arizona just cut their book budget by 80%. I don't know of any libraries who are not suffering. When libraries can't support the book budget, times are hard.

So, those of us who are part of the book world are suggesting books as gifts. I know I'm doing my part. I can't say anymore because my husband might read this posting. But, Bookreporter.com has some great holiday suggestions if you need them. Here's their publicity release about their holiday suggestions.

Bookreporter.com's Books as the Perfect Gifts Countdown

There's one gift that's perfect for everyone on your holiday list --- a book! Yes, everyone has people who are readers on their lists, which makes shopping for them easy. But beyond these kindred spirits, there's a book that can match just about any recipient's interests, even if reading is not their true passion. That is why Bookreporter.com is sharing 45 reasons why a book makes a perfect gift, counting down until Christmas Day, December 25th. Check out the countdown and see why we think this is the gift you want to give --- and, oh yes, receive!

The Countdown can be read at: http://www.bookreporter.com/features/holiday_countdown/index.asp

The feature is also running on ReadingGroupGuides.com, FaithfulReader.com, Teenreads.com and Kidsreads.com.

Bookreporter.com's Holiday Basket of Cheer Contest

Bookreporter.com's popular annual contest spotlights a different title or collection of titles every week from November 7th to December 12th. Readers can enter to win a basket that includes two copies of the book (one to keep and one to give), wrapping paper and a bow, and holiday-themed items such as Ghirardelli hot chocolate mix, gourmet vanilla marshmallows, Chewy Peps candy, an Illuminations cinnamon spice-scented candle, and more.

The Holiday Basket of Cheer feature can be found at: http://www.bookreporter.com/features/holiday_basket_2008/index.asp

Launched November 21st: Bookreporter.com's Authors on the Holidays

More than 25 authors share their favorite memories of giving or receiving a book at the holidays, including Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark, Kristin Hannah, Garth Stein, M.J. Rose, Adriana Trigiani, Mary Kay Andrews, and more.

Launched November 14th: Bookreporter.com's What to Give/What to Get Guide

Gift giving is made easy with “reader perfect” suggestions in categories like Eat, Drink & Be Merry (cookbooks and culinary tales), Faces & Places (history, biography and memoir), and Healthy, Wealthy & Wise (advice and how-to).

**************************************************************

So, would you think about buying books for Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa gifts? There are lots of suggestions out there. And, if you're reading this, you're a reader who wants to keep bookstores and publishers, and, most of all, our beloved authors, in business. And, if you don't know anyone who wants a book (which I doubt!), offer your local public library a gift. That's the gift that continues to give.

8 comments:

Lacer said...

Here, here! As well as being a reader, I also sell books that make the perfect gifts for children at school and craft fairs, so yep everyone should buy books this Christmas ;) I've done one event so far this Christmas and my takings are down about 15% from what I'd expect (based on last year).

I know personally that I would be very happy to see some books for me under the Christmas tree, not so much fiction, as I think that can be harder to judge right but non-fiction, I'm hoping I've dropped enough hints about Russell T. Davies book and a craft or cooking book is always welcome!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Lacer. I'm sorry about your sales. I worry about people like you who depend on books, and the holidays. Good luck with the rest of the year.

And, I hope you get your book wishes for Christmas!

pattinase (abbott) said...

And too often book suggestions are all new books. Don't forget books from earlier years, often now available in paperback. I'm going to mention this, come to think of it.

Lesa said...

Good idea, Patti. And, I linked to your blog today. I told readers they had to see the picture there; I wasn't going to show it to them.

Dani in NC said...

The gift-buying rule in our house has always been toys for Christmas and books & crafts for birthdays. However, we think it might be more cost-efficient to get books for the kids for Christmas this year. For instance, the book of sheet music that my 15-year-old wants will be less expensive than an mp3 player.

Lesa said...

I think all of us are looking for ways to cut back this year, and a book of sheet music that can be used over and over is a wonderful idea. Thanks, Dani.

Debbie said...

A great idea! Thanks for the link to Bookreporter too.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Debbie. And, I really like Bookreporter, and I enter some of the contests (even though I've never won - smile.) I love some of their prizes. And, the book information on that site is terrific as well.