Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Quotation of the Day

Thanks to Shelf-Awareness.com for the following quote.

Quotation of the Day

'The Library Has Always Been a Window to a Larger World'
"More than a building that houses books and data, the library has always been a window to a larger world--a place where we've always come to discover big ideas and profound concepts that help move the American story forward. . . . .

"Libraries remind us that truth isn't about who yells the loudest, but who has the right information. Because even as we're the most religious of people, America's innovative genius has always been preserved because we also have a deep faith in facts.

"And so the moment we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold into a library, we've changed their lives forever, and for the better. This is an enormous force for good."--President-elect Barack Obama in a speech at the American Library Association annual conference in June 2005.



As a librarian, I appreciate his comments about the library. And, as the daughter of parents who shared their love of books, and libraries, I'm glad Barack Obama shares books with his children. Unfortunately, he won't get a chance to share public libraries with them.

This is a family, and a father, that values reading. Michelle Obama told the story of our President-Elect reading all of the Harry Potter books with his daughter. As the daughter of reading parents, I can appreciate how important that is, an example of parents reading, and caring about sharing it.

My parents both read to me, and my sisters. Mom taught us to read, and spent time with flashcards, vocabulary words, and readers. And, although this verse actually reads "mother," I treasure it all the more because my mother made me this pillow, with a picture of my father and me, and changed the verse.



"Richer than me, You will never be. I had a Father who read to me."

8 comments:

Luanne said...

What a wonderful quote. Libraries and books shaped my life from an early age and continue to do so today (and for many more days I hope!)

Joy said...

That's a very special pillow, indeed.

Lesa said...

Isn't that a great quote, Luanne? And, he wasn't even running for President at that time, but I think he got librarians right there.

Lesa said...

Joy,

I love that pillow. And, I sat and cried when I opened it, with the saying, and the picture of my Father.

Donna said...

Reading what our new President said just reinforces what a wise decision we made in choosing him!

Lesa said...

I think so, too, Donna.

Jim said...

Lesa,

I know what that pillow means to you. And thank God for Libraries seeing we met there & were married there 25 years ago. And I too believe that we choose the right President for these times Donna.

Love Jim

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jim. And, I too am grateful for what libraries meant in our lives.