Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

I know, if you're reading this blog, that you're just as grateful for books as I am. I've read 152 books so far this year, and I'm glad that every one of them came to my attention. But, I'm particularly pleased that I had the opportunity to read some special ones. At the end of the year, not all of these will make my top ten, but they'd make a list of some of the most enjoyable books I read during the year. This also isn't my list of favorite mysteries. It's just an eclectic list that jumps out at me today, as I write this.

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs, which seems like a perfect book to mention on Thanksgiving.

The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

When We Get to Surf City by Bob Greene, because Jim and I share a love of Bob Greene's writing. For us, all of his work is nostalgic and reminds us of home.

The Crossroads by Chris Grabenstein

Rubicon by Lawrence Alexander, because everyone I recommended this novel to still talked about it weeks later.

Hell Hole by Chris Grabenstein

King of the Holly Hop by Les Roberts, a book that brought back one of my favorite characters, after a long absence.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, still my pick for book of the year.

My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes - The book that stood the test of time.

The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner - Book that needs to be read, and isn't well-known.

War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest by Michael Rosenberg - Most unusual sports book, and the one I get the most thanks for recommending.

This isn't to say I didn't love a number of other books that I read, but these jump out at me when I go back over the year's list.

Thanks to all of the bloggers who share their love of books. And, here's a shout out to all my friends from Lee County, Florida, who keep in touch, and still talk about books with me. Some of you are now elsewhere, particularly Texas. I love you, and miss you.

I'm grateful for parents who read to me, taught me to read, and shared their love of reading and books, taking me to the library, and encouraging me to be a librarian. I have two wonderful sisters who still get excited when we talk books. I love you. And, I have nieces and nephews who love to read, but I particularly want to mention Elizabeth, who is keeping me on my toes with her book challenge this year. And, Thanksgiving is the perfect time for family memories. My mother's parents, Otto and Hildegard Smith, were readers. Grandpa was a journalist, a farm editor for a newspaper, and I think of him every time I write. I shared my love of books with Grandma, and I treasure her book journal.

And, last. What would Thanksgiving be if I didn't thank Jim? We've shared books since we first met at the Huron Public Library in Ohio. We talked books, married at the library, and had paperbacks tied to the bumper of our car. He still says, "We only go married to read." Jim, thank you for allowing me to share my passion for books, for this blog, and patiently putting up with all of my talk of books and the library. Thanks for picking winners for all of the contests. I'm grateful for all your support as I teach Readers' Advisory workshops, and spend time blogging instead of talking (or listening!) to you. I'm grateful, and happy, to share my life with you, and our reading world.

13 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Thanks, Lesa, for reminding me I still haven't read The Cruelest Month. I hope I can sneak it in before year-end.

shelburns said...

What a great post today!

Anonymous said...

hi aunt lesa happy thanksgiving ive read over 150 books :) elizabeth

Les said...

A beautiful post, Lesa! So much to be thankful for. And congrats to Elizabeth. Over 150 books!! You two rock!! :)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Shelburns! And, I really am thankful for having all of that in my life, and all of those special people.

Lesa said...

Hi Elizabeth!

Happy Thanksgiving! That's terrific, over 150 books! I'm sure you're going to beat me at the end of the year. Love you! Have a great day, and say hi to all of the family for me.

Love,
Aunt Lesa

Lesa said...

Thanks, Les! I'm so pleased that my nieces and nephews all like to read. And, Elizabeth challenged me to read this year, saying she was going to read more than me. She's doing fantastic! Just one more thing I'm thankful for.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jim said...

Lesa,

And I'm thankful for your love of books, or we wouldn't be married. :-) And I'm particularly grateful that you have your blog & readers, plus workshops, and employment that you love so I can do just what I'm dong in the picture, reading, without being bothered. Just half kidding!

Most of all, I'm grateful for you, an Angel. At least that is how everybody that ever met you described you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love Jim

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jim. Loved that part that you're only "half kidding!" (grin)

I love you!
Lesa

Carrie K. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lesa!

I did a similar post today:
http://booksandmovies.today.com/2008/11/27/some-of-the-books-im-thankful-i-found-this-year/

Lesa said...

Thanks, Carrie! I'll have to check out your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimbo is looking really smarts there.I am glad that the both of you are still a part of our life,even if it is thru cyber space.Love ya both..........
Joe and The Florida Clan

Lesa said...

I'm going to make sure Jim reads this message, Joe! He'll appreciate it. I'm glad we're still friends as well. You'll always be special to us.

We love you!
Jim & Lesa