Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday's "Forgotten" Books - The Dead Cat Bounce

Nothing like following up a blog posting called Hate That Cat with The Dead Cat Bounce. Honest, I have nothing against cats; I have four of them. And, The Dead Cat Bounce isn't even about cats; it's a financial term.

The Dead Cat Bounce was the first book in Sarah Graves' Home Repair is Homicide mystery series. The twelfth book in this series, A Face at the Window, is due out in December, but how many people remember the introductory volume in the series?

Mary Kittredge, writing under the pseudonym Sarah Graves, introduced Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree, a former financial advisor to the Mob, in The Dead Cat Bounce. Jake left her Wall Street money manager's position, and her cheating ex-husband, who is a successful brain surgeon, and moved with her son, Sam, to Eastport, Maine. She was trying to save her son from the bad influence of his city friends, who skipped school and used drugs. She sank her money into a 200-year-old house, and, through the course of the series, will continue to sink money into the house in order to remodel it. In this first book, when a body is discovered in Jake's house, her new neighbor and friend, Ellie White, confesses she killed him. Jake thinks Ellie is covering up for someone else, and begins to poke around into the background of the victim, a ruthless corporate raider. The Dead Cat Bounce gives Jake the chance to use her financial background, and introduces readers to Jake, her family, and people who will continue to be her friends in future books.

An Amazon reviewer referred to this book as "This Old House meets Murder, She Wrote," and, at some time or another in the course of this series, probably everyone in Eastport becomes either a victim or a suspect. But, it's fascinating to follow Jake through the years as her life with Sam changes.

Kittredge herself moved to Eastport, Maine, and began a remodeling project on a house built in 1823, the inspiration for this series. Eleven books later, the remodeling hints continue, Jake is still sinking money into the house, and readers are still following this intriguing series.

And, for other Friday "Forgotten" Books, check out Patti Abbott's website at www.pattinase.blogspot.com, where she summarizes all the suggestions for Friday.

Sarah Graves' website is www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/graves

The Dead Cat Bounce by Sarah Graves. Bantam Books, ©1998. ISBN 9780553578577 (paperback), 336p.

7 comments:

sharonanne said...

I'm glad to hear that you don't hate cats! :)

Lesa said...

Definitely love cats! I just realized what it sounded like with the two books I reviewed the last couple days. Thanks for following me, Sharonanne!

MsValerie said...

Lesa...Thanks for reminding me of this book. I discovered Sarah Graves's "Home Repair is Homicide" books when this first one came out. It caught my eye in the library...and the title led me to pick it up.

I *really* like this series, and eagerly await the new book each year.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Valerie. Thanks for reading Friday's Forgotten Book, and commenting about the series.

Maria said...

I loved the first 3--I had no idea she had 12!!!! I still have the 3 I read--the first is my favorite!

Lesa said...

I have to admit I liked some of the earlier ones better, too, Maria. After a while, in a small town, the "Cabot Cove Syndrome" strikes.

Maria said...

Indeed!!!