Monday, November 24, 2008

The Diva Runs Out of Thyme

Holidays sometimes bring out the worst in families. But Krista Davis gives her amateur sleuth, Sophie Winston, one of the worst Thanksgiving experiences I've ever read about. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme is a terrific debut mystery, perfect for the holiday season. Sophie's family holiday will make everyone else's holiday look delightful in comparison.

Sophie Winston is 44, happily divorced, and living in Old Town Alexandria in Virginia. She's participating in the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown just before Thanksgiving, competing against Natasha, her lifelong rival, a Martha Stewart-type who now lives with Sophie's ex-husband, Mars. Can she handle the competition while hosting her parents, her sister and her sister's fiancé for the holiday? Sophie thinks she can easily juggle everything, until a trip to the grocery store leaves her with a kitten and a dead detective who had her picture in his truck. If she's unlucky, Sophie could be cooking her special stuffing recipe in the prison kitchen.

Davis' debut mystery in the Domestic Diva series is a perfect cozy with a likable sleuth, her sidekick friend, and a cast of a dozen suspects who are friends or family. There are pets to add to the cozy atmosphere, along with a couple men competing for the heroine's attention. And the Thanksgiving recipes included look wonderful, especially Crusty Country Bread, Bacon, and Herb Stuffing, and Cranberry Mushroom Wild Rice Stuffing. Did I mention that I didn't guess who the killer is? That's always a plus for avid mystery readers.

Here's hoping Krista Davis' The Diva Runs Out of Thyme is the beginning of a successful series. It would be a perfect holiday gift, Thanksgiving or Christmas, since it's an affordable paperback, and the start of a series. Cozy mystery readers will always be content to receive the first book in a series.

Krista Davis' website is divamysteries.com

The Diva Runs Out of Thyme by Krista Davis. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2008. ISBN 9780425224267 (paperback), 304p.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this last week. I enjoyed it also and did not figure out who the killer was. I am not sure that I will be continuing on with the series. I found it weird that Natasha would chose to move where she did at the end. Particularly with Sophie's ex husband. That may keep me from reading more of the series. This weekend I read Death of a Cozy Writer by G.M. Malliet. Wish the next one was already in print!

caite said...

It's the perfect time of year for a nice cozy...even though my tastes usually run toward something...hmmmm...darker.

Every cozy needs pets!
so do I...

BousMama said...

What a great review, I love cozies with pets too! Thanks and it's been added to my list!

Suzanne Adair said...

Hi folks!

I'm still waiting on my copy of the book to arrive. Don't miss the opportunity to meet Krista Davis if she comes to your town for a booksigning. Not only is this "diva" a very personable lady, but she may bring FOOD. Pumpkin cheesecake, bourbon pecan pie, and so forth. I fuss over her on the 12 November post of my author blog (http://suzanneadair.typepad.com/blog/2008/11/food-more-food-and-an-interview.html), where there's also a picture of Krista.

Suzanne Adair

Lesa said...

Now, Anonymous! Don't give anything away to people who haven't read the book yet. (smile) Just want to say I think the ending is appropriate, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Lesa said...

Oh, and this cozy has pets galore, Caite! Fun book.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, BousMama, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Suzanne! And, I should have my review of your book, Camp Follower, posted within the week. Thanks!

Linda Reilly said...

I've already had the pleasure of reading The Diva Runs Out of Thyme, and loved it! Krista Davis has a delightful writing style. I can't wait for her next "diva" book!

Lesa said...

Linda,

You're right. She does have a delightful style, doesn't she?