Monday, November 17, 2008

Blueberry Hill

Marcia Evanick's Blueberry Hill is just what I like in a romance. It had interesting characters, strong families, a little sex that didn't overpower the story, and lots of humor. Romances lose me if the humor is lacking.

Jocelyn Fletcher is afraid she's not cut out for a career in the D.A.'s office, when she has to watch criminals walk away on technicalities. In order to clear her head, she asks her sisters in Misty Harbor, Maine, to look out for a job for her, and a place to live. There isn't much available in the small town, but they do set up an interview for her as housekeeper and nanny to the local sheriff, whose ex-wife died, leaving him with their three young children.

There's an immediate attraction between Jocelyn and Sheriff Quinn Larson, but it's his children, five-year-old Ben, and the younger twins, Issy and Tori, who win her heart first. Quinn fights the attraction, while Jocelyn deals with all the eligible men of Misty Harbor, who show up bearing gifts. In the meantime, Quinn's sister, Phoebe, a glass worker, watches it all with amusement because she coped with the bachelors when she moved home. However, Phoebe's heart remains with her high school sweetheart, a man who dumped her when she left for college.

Evanick skillfully handles two romances, along with the family life. It's an enjoyable romance with terrific people, and a lovely setting. Blueberry Hill was such a fun romance that I've already started one of Evanick's Christmas romances, A Berry Merry Christmas.

Blueberry Hill by Marcia Evanick. Zebra Books, ©2003. ISBN 0-8217-7425-5 (paperback), 304p.

4 comments:

caite said...

I don't read romances as a rule, but that sounds cute. And I think just about anything is better with a little humor.

Lesa said...

You're right, Caite. And, I'm hooked on this author's romances. I read a Christmas one I liked, A Very Berry Christmas, and I'll review that in December.

Jen said...

Congrats on having USA Today pick up your review on this book, Lesa! Go Lesa! Go Lesa! :)

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jen! I appreciate it. I love it when people can cheer for each other's success. Thanks!