Friday, October 17, 2008

A Single Thread


I reviewed Marie Bostwick's A Single Thread for Library Journal. The review appeared in the October 15 issue, and is reprinted here with permission.

Bostwick, Marie. A Single Thread. Kensington. Nov. 2008. c.288p. ISBN 978-0-7582-2257-2. pap. $14. F

Bostwick succeeds admirably in this departure from historical fiction (e.g., On Wings of the Morning). When divorce forces Evelyn Dixon to leave her Texas home, she impulsively drives to New Bern, CT, where she finds the perfect neglected building to turn into a shop. When her business struggles, a new friend suggests a special event to keep it going. On the day Evelyn holds a Quilt Pink event for cancer, she discovers that she herself has breast cancer. Following the event, she falls apart in front of three women, including the town's wealthiest woman and the woman's troubled niece. Not surprisingly, the three women become Evelyn's friends and assist with the shop while she undergoes treatment, and everyone's lives change. Despite the predictability of the plot, this is a pleasant story of friendship, with a message of starting over despite the odds. It will remind readers of Debbie Macomber's popular The Shop on Blossom Street. The first in Bostwick's "Cobbled Court" series, this comforting book is highly recommended for public libraries.—Lesa Holstine, Glendale P.L., AZ

Copyright © 2008 Cahners Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Reprinted with permission.

5 comments:

Anglers Rest said...

Sounds great, I am also pleased to read that this is the beginning of a series. Looking forward to buying the book when published in the UK.

Lesa said...

Like you, I was pleased to know it was the beginning of a series. I'm looking forward to the next one. I really like Bostwick's writing style.

Amy said...

Oh I'm excited to read this! The only thing I've read by her was the Christmas novella last year, but I loved it. Thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Amy! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

katherine said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sarah

http://www.lyricsdigs.com