Saturday, October 11, 2008

Barry Award Winners

The Barry Award Winners were announced at Bouchercon. Congratulations to the winners! I'm particularly pleased because Laura Lippman, winner of Best Novel, will be appearing at the Velma Teague Library in April as part of our Authors @ The Teague series.


Best Novel - What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

Best First Novel - In the Woods by Tana French

Best British Crime Novel - Damnation Falls by Edward Wright

Best Thriller - The Watchman by Robert Crais

Best Paperback Original - Queenpin by Megan Abbott

Best Short Story - "The Problem of the Summer Snowman" by Edward D. Hoch

6 comments:

Joy said...

I still haven't read any Lippman, can't wait to read French, and love Crais, but haven't read The Watchman yet.

Lesa said...

Oh, that towering TBR pile, Joy! Or, that TBR room. (grin)

Carrie K. said...

I listened to What the Dead Know on audio last year - it was very good.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Carrie.

And, I have Laura Lippman's new collection of stories in my TBR pile. I have to get to that soon.

Jen said...

Woo hoo! Go RC!! Loved The Watchman. I have a crush on Joe - but then again, I think every woman does!! LOL

I have to say - I know I'm in the minority on this one - didn't think In the Woods was "all that." I didn't think it was bad, but I also didn't think it lived up to the hype. I didn't connect at all with the characters; by the end of the novel I pretty much despised Rob. I also thought it was longer than it needed to be. Page count means nothing to me if the book is moving, but the second half of Woods moved much slower than it could have. But, that's just one reader's opinion. I know it's been a very popular read.

Lesa said...

I haven't read In the Woods, Jen, so I don't know. But, I probably won't pick it up now, after reading your review. I'm not into slow-moving, long books.