Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Read On...Crime Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste

As part of Libraries Unlimited's Read On Series, Barry Trott has compiled a must read book for mystery fanatics, Read On...Crime Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste.

If you're a mystery geek, as I am, you'll want to read this book with pen and paper nearby. Trott says, "The titles listed give a sampling of the broad appeal of contemporary crime fiction." He's broken the books into broad categories, based on appeal. Those categories are crime novels that appeal to readers who enjoy story; ones based on character; mysteries in which setting is the main appeal; books that appeal to a certain mood; and ones in which language is important. Under each of those categories, the reader will find an assortment of books, many of them part of mystery series.

How can anyone who loves crime novels resist a book that not only provides lists of mysteries broken into categories, but summarizes those books with a succinct paragraph? Whether you read police procedurals, cozies, hardboiled detective novels, historic mysteries, or any other classification of crime fiction, Trott annotates books you might not have discovered. Read On...Crime Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste is a treasure for mystery lovers.

Read On...Crime Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste by Barry Trott. Libraries Unlimited, ©2008. ISBN 978-1-59158-373-8 (paperback), 146p.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Sounds very intriguing to this mystery fanatic--thanks for the review, Lesa!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Cathy. It is a terrific book.

Jen said...

I just put a request in at the library for this. I MUST check it out!! Thanks Lesa!!

Oh, and thought I'd let you know that while I was in Pittsburgh to see Alafair Burke, I picked up Interred with Their Bones. Looking forward to reading that one, too!

Becky said...

I also think it sounds like a great book. I just finished reading, "Recovering Charles," by Jason Wright- a great book about Hurricane Katrina. I have been aching to read another great book and am excited to give your book a try. Thanks for the great post.

Lesa said...

Jen, I saw the picture of you and Alafair on your blog. Very nice! And, I'll be watching your blog for your eventual review of Interred with Their Bones.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Becky. But, I hope you're not disappointed. This one can give you leads to great books, but it's not going to be the same kind of great read as Recovering Charles.

Becky said...

Lesa,

I wanted to let you know that I was able to find the book and have started reading it. I am quite impressed. Thanks again!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Becky! I'm glad you are as impressed with the book as I was. Barry Trott did an excellent job.

Barry Trott said...

Lesa,

Thanks for your kind comments about the crime fiction book. It is always good to hear that it is used by avid mystery readers. All the best in 2009.

Barry

Lesa said...

Thank you, Barry. And, thank you for a terrific, valuable book.