Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Poisoned Pen Bookstore & Dennis Lehane


So what are you doing Friday night? I'm going to The Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, AZ for their nineteenth anniversary celebration. It will be nineteen years to the date on Friday, Oct. 3, and I'm sure Barbara Peters, the owner, will have something special planned.

I know she has a special author coming. Dennis Lehane, author of The Given Day, will appear at 7 p.m. to talk about his book. I already have my first edition to get it autographed, and sometime on Saturday I'll have my event summary posted.

I'm looking forward to meeting Dennis again. It's been ten years, and he won't remember me, but I invited him to serve on a panel for the inaugural Lee County Reading Festival. He demurred at first, saying he didn't have a current book out to promote, but he was working on one. However, I talked him into it, and he served on a panel with James Hall and Jan Burke, which was moderated by Les Standiford. My most interesting memory, though, was emailing Dennis. He always answered me instantly, so I thought maybe he was looking for an excuse to stop writing. When he was on the panel, he summarized the book he was writing, Mystic River.

Dennis Lehane will be returning to Ft. Myers, Florida in March to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the festival that has grown to be the Southwest Florida Reading Festival. However, I'm glad I'll be able to see him Friday night. It will be a perfect way to celebrate the nineteenth anniversary of The Poisoned Pen Bookstore.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Lesa, I'm very envious. I found out Dennis was in Ann Arbor today, and had it not been my second day at my new job, I would have made the 2.5 hour trip to see him. Please say hi for me. I have my first addition, but sadly, it will have to remain unsigned. Maybe some time in the future I'll be able to get his John Hancock on it.

Have fun. I'll look forward to reading your summary!

Lesa said...

I will have fun, Jen. Thanks!

But, in this economy, that second day in a new job is really important. Congratulations!

Corey Wilde said...

I'm a deep shade of envious green. I look forward to reading your report.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Corey. I just hope I can get some decent pictures. The report will be up sometime on Saturday. It usually takes me a couple hours to get them written.

Jessica said...

As one of your successors to the SW FL RF, I have to say I am beyond thrilled that Dennis will be attending our 10th anniversary festival. I was unable to attend the panel 10 years ago, but was thrilled to meet him earlier this year at the BEA conference and am happy to say that he was beyond nice. I can't wait until Saturday to hear what you have to say about his appearance.

Lesa said...

Hi Jessica!

I'm hoping he is just as nice on Friday night. My blog probably won't be up until 3 or 4 your time on Saturday. But, I'll certainly have the posting sometime that day!