Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday's "Forgotten" Books - Triple Play

Elizabeth Gunn's Jake Hines books are atmospheric police procedurals set in fictional Rutherford, Minnesota. If you've missed this series, beginning with Triple Play, you've missed an intriguing police detective, intricate plots, and realistic, gritty stories.

In Triple Play, the first victim is found on home plate in a neighborhood park. The next victim wore an old softball uniform. It's up to Jake and the department to find the killer before he hits for a triple play.

These stories are more realistic than many series, as Jake and the department work on multiple cases, and deal with the city's problems, politics, and their own personal problems. Jake, himself, is a fascinating character who doesn't know his own origins. He was an orphan found in a dumpster, of mixed race. And, he stands out in whitebread Minnesota.

Gunn has written seven books in this fascinating series, and the stories and the characters grow more interesting in each book. Elizabeth Gunn's Jake Hines series is not as well known as they should be. I hope they're not forgotten.

Elizabeth Gunn has also written the first book in a new series, featuring Sarah Burke, a police detective in Arizona. It's Cool in Tucson. She'll be at the Velma Teague Library in Glendale, Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 20 at 2 p.m. with three other Tucson mystery authors. Don't miss her, and don't forget Triple Play, the first Jake Hines mystery.

Triple Play by Elizabeth Gunn. Dell, published 1998. ISBN 9780440226352 (paperback), 218p.

And, for other Friday "Forgotten" Books, check out Patti Abbott's website at www.pattinase.blogspot.com, where she summarizes all the suggestions for Friday's "Forgotten" Books.

11 comments:

Joy said...

I have this one on my 2009 TBR list! I look forward to being introduced to Jake. It's exciting that Elizabeth Gunn has a new series featuring Sarah. I may just read both! It's fun to start out with the author on the first book. It also makes it a lot easier to keep up. :)

Lesa said...

That's true, Joy. Someday, I'm going to read Ed McBain. I've always said I was saving him for retirement. I have a lot to read then. It would have been easier to follow from the beginning!

Let me know what you think about Triple Play, or Cool in Tucson.

Jen said...

Oh geez Lesa, another one for my TBR pile. I'm adding it at Goodreads right this minute. Definitely sounds like one I'll love!

Jen said...

Oh, and I do hope you're going to write about Gunn after her appearance tomorrow. I'll be watching so I can read about it!

Randy Johnson said...

Sounds like my type of series. I love those "regular" police series that show real police work.
Bill Crider's Sheriff Rhodes is another of this type I love to read.

Lesa said...

Jen - I am going to write about Gunn, and the other three mystery authors appearing at Velma Teague tomorrow. It will be my Sunday blog, with pictures (I hope!)

Lesa said...

Check it out, Randy. This series does a very nice job with regular police work.

L.J. Sellers said...

Sounds like my kind character and story. Thanks for the tip.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, L.J. I hope they find their way to your TBR pile.

Barrie said...

7 books in a series. That's hard to pull off. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Barrie. And, the most recent book in the series was as interesting as the first.