Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters

If you're interested in what people are doing on the Internet, you'll find Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters by Bill Tancer to be a fascinating book.

I couldn't put this book down. Tancer, the general manager of Global Research for Hitwise, an online intelligence company, has access to the most fascinating data. His book, "sheds light on the topic du jour based on our Internet searches or visits to particular websites." He compiles a picture of the 10 million Internet users in the U.S. And, if you're a regular user of the Internet, you might find your own interests profiled.

Can the Internet predict who will win the next "Dancing with the Stars"? Tancer thinks he can predict it, based on searches on the Internet. Who uses online gambling sites? Why are prom dresses popular in January? Tancer covers everything from our phobias to our New Year's Resolutions with the information he's been able to gather from our Internet usage.

In an election year, I found it interesting to read why the pollsters could be wrong. And, Tancer charts the rise in popularity of social networking sites such as MySpace and YouTube. He shows how the Internet has expanded into our daily lives.

I also thought that Tancer's definition of Web 2.0 was the best I've read. He said, "Web 2.0 refers to those sites that allow users to generate their own content and share that content among other users."

I'm not in retail, but, if I was, I'd grab up this book, and contact Hitwise to look for the next popular trends. Tancer's company might not be able to predict the next hot thing, but it would put people on the cutting edge as to dealing with the hottest ideas.

For readers interested in the Internet, it's fascinating to find out how much companies can discover about us. Contrary to my expectations, I didn't feel intruded upon. Instead, I felt even more connected to others after reading the book. If you're intrigued by the Internet, and its possibilities, check out Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters.

The Hitwise blog is www.ilovedata.com

Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters by Bill Tancer. Hyperion, ©2008. ISBN 9781401323042 (hardcover), 240p.

6 comments:

caite said...

Hmmm....I think I asked for this book somewhere. I hope it might be on it's way because it sounds very interesting.
Thanks, hopefully, for the preview.

Katie Brandt said...

Thanks for the book review, this sounds like a facinating book!

Lesa said...

Caite - I hope you get the book. It's fascinating.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Katie!

Terrific book. I wish (although I don't have time since it's not my job) I could track things the way Tancer does. Very interesting.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Interesting to think we are all influencing each other more than ever before because of the Internet.

Lesa said...

It is, isn't it, Patti? And, I went to a wonderful workshop today that reminded me that's why I became a librarian. Librarians have the power to impact lives.