Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Salon - Reading Questionnaire

Last week, a friend of mine posted a questionnaire about reading and books on her blog, Patti's Pen and Picks, and the questionnaire was too good to pass up. She borrowed the idea from a book and publishing site we both enjoy, Shelf Awareness. A couple times a month on that site, they ask authors a list of questions. Why should authors be the only ones questioned? Here's the list of questions, and my answers. I'd love to read some of your answers, or your comments on my answers. Have fun with it! It's a perfect questionnaire for Sunday Salon.



On your nightstand now: My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes, The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden, Forced Out by Stephen Frey, and Farworld: Water Keep by J. Scott Savage.

Book you've "faked" reading: Remembrance of Things Past: Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust

Book you've bought for the cover: Can’t thing of any I bought, but I certainly picked up Forcing Amaryllis by Louise Ure and Sarah Addison Allen’s Garden Spells because of the covers.

Favorite book when you were a child: Oh, there were so many good ones! But, these were all ones I remember for special reasons. Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan , They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Gypsy Secret by Florence Crane, and To Dance, To Dream by Maxine Drury. I still own my copy of Little Women that my father bought me. I wish I owned copies of the others. Someday.

Book that changed your life: Love by Leo Buscaglia

Favorite line from a book: "He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." – Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Top five favorite authors: On Aug. 17, 2008 (because they change constantly) – Louise Penny, Chris Grabenstein, Patricia Leimbach, Sandra Dallas, and…

Books you recommend as regeneration when people say, "I'm bored by almost all contemporary American writers.": The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas or Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.

Book you can't believe that everyone has not read and loved: The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas

Book you are an "evangelist" for: King Con by Stephen Cannell, The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Book you most want to read again for the first time: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, The Persian Pickle Club, and Gone with the Wind.

So, your answers or comments? Or, if you'd like to answer on your own blog, send us the link in the comments box so we can all read them! Have fun!

23 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Lesa, I was meaning to do this on my blog when I read it on Patti's, too. You lit the fire under me this morning. I posted it at http://jensbookthoughts.blogspot.com

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jen. I'm going to read your answers now.

gautami tripathy said...

I think I will do this on my blog. Sounds good to me.

Do check out my Sunday Salon posts :D

SS 1: Review of The Dark Child

SS 2: Musings about books

Beautiful Witch said...

I think I'll do it too. I also picked up Garden Spells because of the cover. :) Thanks for sharing the questionnaire!

Table Talk said...

Oh my goodness, how long is it since I heard anyone mention Margaret Campbell Barnes? I read everything she had written as a teenager and haven't thought of her since. And, I'm pleased to say that I have read 'The Persian Pickle Club' and loved it.

Literary Feline said...

I could swear I did this meme a while back, but I'm having trouble finding it right now.

I couldn't get through Brave New World when I had to read it for a college course and I took all the quizzes and tests like I did. I never outright said I read it, but I suppose it was implied by my actions. No one was the wiser, sad to say (although it was lucky for me at the time. Haha).

I hope you have a great day!

Lesa said...

Table Talk - Margaret Campbell Barnes' books are being reprinted. And, I always loved the one about Anne of Cleves. She became my favorite one of Henry VIII's wives when I read that book. Years later, I still remember it.

Lesa said...

Wendy,

I think the answer for most of us for the book we pretended to read was one from school. Proust was from my freshman year in college.

Lesa said...

Wasn't the cover of Garden Spells great, Beautiful Witch? It's a fun questionnaire to think about!

Lesa said...

Guatami Tripathy,

I'll be checking your Sunday Salon!
Thanks.

naida said...

hi Lesa, happy Sunday. Great idea, i'll be blogging about this later on.
I'll have to add The Persian Pickle Club to my TBR.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Lesa said...

Naida,

Let me know what you think when you finally get around to The Persian Pickle Club, or put it on Sunday Salon! I'll be watching for your questionnaire.

wisteria said...

Do you really want to know what books are on my nightstand?

I will, like others have to blog these answers. Check out my answers this week, and I'll have a link next Sunday.

naida said...

okay my answers are up :)

Lesa said...

Thanks, Wisteria and Naida. I'm going to check your answers.

Kay said...

The Persian Pickle Club ... one of my very favorite books. I am now reading another Sandra Dallas book, The Quilt That Walked to Golden. It's part American History, part memoir, and a photographic history of quilts and the amazing Colorado women who recorded their histories in these quilts. It's a treasure!

Lesa said...

Kay!

I haven't even heard of that book. Thank you! I'll have to look for it.

Book Zombie said...

Awesome questionnaire ... of course I had to do one too :)

But I think it needs just one more question.

Book you bought because of the title:
My answer: The Persian Pickle Club

Lesa said...

How can I argue with that question, Book Zombie? It is a great title, isn't it?

Cathy said...

Here's mine ! I'd been intending to do this on my blog, too.

Carrie K. said...

I've been saving this in my favorites, and finally found time to play along!

http://booksandmovies.today.com/2008/08/27/reading-questionnaire/

Lesa said...

Thanks, Carrie!

I'll have to check out your answers. It is fun, isn't it?

chandra said...

Excellent point! Thanks !
questionnaire