Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Salon - Books Read During August

I always use the last day of the month to summarize the books I've read. I don't know about everyone else, but I was so caught up in the Olympics and politics that I didn't get as much read as usual. I only read thirteen books. I know I'm probably falling behind my niece in our reading challenge for the year. I'm up to 108 books so far.

My list is topped this month by an older book, My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes. It's historical fiction about Anne of Cleves, the fourth wife of Henry VIII. And, it's a beautiful story. Anne of Cleves remains my favorite of Henry Tudor's wives.

Here are the rest of the books I read during August.

Angel's Tip by Alafair Burke - Crime fiction in which NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher isn't so sure they caught the real killer of a blonde co-ed.

Dead in Red by L.L. Bartlett - After his mugging, Jeff Resnick "senses" images about murders. When he investigates the killing of a bartender, he "sees" bloody hands, and worries about involving his brother.

Women in Hats by Judy Sheehan - A woman produces a play her husband wrote, and her mother wants to star in, although she dislikes the play as written, and doesn't get along with her mother.

One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly - When Meg Corey moves into her mother's house to restore it, she didn't expect to be a murder suspect, or to have her ex-boyfriend turn up dead in her septic tank.

Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood - Cookbook.

Killer's View by Ridley Pearson - When Walt Fleming, Sheriff of Blaine County, Idaho, loses one friend to murder, and one to kidnapping, he doesn't realize he's investigating survivalists.

Farworld, Book 1: Water Keep by J. Scott Savage - Young adult fantasy about two thirteen-year-old kids destined to save their worlds. First in a proposed series of five books.

The Mercedes Coffin by Faye Kellerman - Lt. Peter Decker reopens the cold case of a man killed execution style, and stuffed in the trunk of his Mercedes.

Six Good Innings by Mark Kreidler - How Toms River, New Jersey became a Little League giant, and the story of one team from the town.

The Library Card by Jerry Spinelli - Juvenile collection of four intertwined stories in which four needy twelve-year-old kids find a blue library card, a card that offers opportunities.

The Laughter of Dead Kings by Elizabeth Peters - Vicky Bliss, her lover, John, and other friends, try to find the stolen King Tut mummy before John is accused of stealing it.

Same Time Next Summer by Holly Jacobs - Carolyn and Stephen were summer best friends at their Ohio cottages. As adults they grew apart, but they're drawn together again when Carolyn's daughter suffers a brain injury in a car accident, and Stephen wants to be there for both of them.

I hope you had a wonderful reading month in August. I'm looking forward to September!

12 comments:

Table Talk said...

I've been seeing a lot of posts for 'Far World', but it doesn't seem to have made it on to the library radar over here in the UK as yet. I must add it to my list of books I'm looking out for so I don't forget it.

gautami tripathy said...

I wish I could get hold of Far World. No chance of it now, her in India!

Do check on my reading plans

Lesa said...

You're both seeing a number of comments about Far World because the author did a blog tour here. It was a good way to introduce this book to the reading community.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Watching The Tudors on Showtime just now. Is he painted as badly in Anne of Cleves as in this series. I only wish someone would chop his head off. I really had a romaticized view of Boleyn and Henry from the movie with Burton and Bujoud, i guess.

Lesa said...

He isn't painted as badly in My Lady of Cleves. He's painted as an aging bull, a man who was used to being powerful, and is finding out that he no longer has the strength he once had. In fact, it's kind of sad toward the end of the book. I will say they offered me the book on Anne Boleyn as well, and I turned it down. Unlike you, Patti, I've always had a negative view of her, and this book doesn't make me like her much better. It makes Anne of Cleves seem like a person I would have liked to know.

samantha.1020 said...

Nice reading month! You really read and accomplished a lot.

Mayra Calvani said...

Hi Lesa,

If you ever read Sisters of Misery, I'd love to know your opinion. I just wrote the review and the book left a bad taste in my mouth.

Lesa said...

Mayra,

Who wrote Sisters of Misery? I'm curious. I'll have to check your review.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Samantha. And, it looks like I have a busy September and October ahead of me.

Les said...

I don't know about everyone else, but I was so caught up in the Olympics and politics that I didn't get as much read as usual. I only read thirteen books. I'd say that's pretty impressive! I only read THREE!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Les. It just felt as if I didn't get as much read as I had time for because of TV.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I like this post:

You create good material for community.

Please keep posting.

Let me introduce other material that may be good for net community.

Source: Police lieutenant interview questions

Best rgs
Peter