Friday, August 08, 2008

Friday's "Forgotten" Books

Nowadays, Charlaine Harris is probably best known for her Sookie Stackhouse mysteries, books that will be the basis of a new HBO series that premieres on September 7, called True Blood. She's also the author of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries, featuring a librarian, and the Harper Connelly mysteries. But, my favorite Charlaine Harris series is the Lily Bard books, all set in Shakespeare, Arkansas.

Don't forget about these books, beginning with the first one, Shakespeare's Landlord. These books are darker than the Aurora Teagarden stories, and they lack the humor. Lily Bard moved to Shakespeare, a small town that was the perfect place to hide from the violence than nearly destroyed her life years before. She's made herself into a strong woman, an expert in martial arts, but she hides her appearance behind baggy clothes and close cropped hair. She works as a housekeeper, and doesn't call attention to herself. She likes her invisibility. When she witnesses a murder, she's suddenly exposed to the world.

All of the Lily Bard books have a darkness to them. Lily's background is brutal, and Harris doesn't try to make it lighter or humorous. These were fresh, intriguing mysteries when they were introduced. They remain my favorite Charlaine Harris books.

Start with Shakespeare's Landlord. You won't regret it.

Charlaine Harris' website is www.charlaineharris.com

Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris. Penguin Group. ©1996. ISBN 9780425206867 (paperback), 224p.

19 comments:

Kay said...

You are coming up with some great "forgotten" books. This one is definitely a great read. I loved the Lily Bard books. I may have to re-read them.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kay! I don't know how long I can keep it up, but I'm trying.

I did love the Lily Bard books, and none of Harris' other series really caught my interest.

Jen said...

This one is new to me...I'm adding it to my TBR list right this minute. It definitely sounds like one I will like...thanks, Lesa!

randio said...

I love'd the Lily Bard & Aurora Teagarden series, but can't really get into her vampire series. Hope she hasn't buried Lily & Aurora for good!

Patricia said...

I just read The Julius House and I did like it. I haven't read any of the Lily Bard series but I will put the books on my list.

Have you read any M. K. Preston books? I've read two and loved them but can't find anything other than the two.

Pat R.

Brian said...

Hi Lesa -- thanks for participating.

Maria said...

The Lily Bard ones are my favorites too!!! I liked the first, oh one or two of the vampire series, but I tired quickly of the changing boyfriends and everyone falling in love with sookie and vampires. I tried her other series...the one about the graves, but I didn't like it at all.

I've read all the Lily Bard's though!!!

Lesa said...

Jen - In my opinion, definitely the best of Charlaine Harris' series. Enjoy!

Lesa said...

Randio,

I don't know if she buried Lily for good or not. The last book could have been an ending, and I met Harris once, and she said the Lily Bard books were very draining to write, and took a lot out of her.

Like you, I just couldn't get into the vampire books, and I tired of Aurora. She seemed awfully stupid at times.

Lesa said...

Pat - I haven't read any M.K. Preston books. What kind of books does she write?

Lesa said...

Thanks for catching it, Brian. I couldn't find your email address!

Lesa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesa said...

Maria,

I totally agree with you. I only tried one of the Sookie books. I was hoping for something I liked as well as the Lily Bard books. They didn't do anything for me, but then I'm not into the vampire fad.

Maria said...

I don't mind a vampire now and then--what I don't like is when the vampires are all sex-gods with no personalities. It's something I see in too many books with vampires--some automatic assumption that vampires are sexy, gotta-have guys. I can't get past that because all I can think is, he's DEAD. Yuck. And even so, don't tell me a dead guy is sexy--tell me: Can he cook? Does he fix toilets? Does he have a JOB? Does he do his own laundry...

I'll read about the three little mice, the three little pigs, the three little vampires-- if they are well-developed characters!

:>)

Lesa said...

And, I'm reading that book, Three Bags Full about sheep right now, Maria! I love your comment.

And, I totally agree with your comments about cooking, etc. Much better than a dead guy!

Thanks for the smiles!

Literary Feline said...

I have only read the first book in this series so far, but I do love it. Charlaine Harris is one of my favorite authors.

Lesa said...

I'm glad you like the Lily Bard series, Wendy, as well as Charlaine Harris' other books. I'm just partial to that series.

Anglers Rest said...

Just added the Aurora Teagarden series to my wish list. This one has an appeal & I love these cosy mysteries!

Lesa said...

I hope you like the Aurora Teagarden books. I love some of the cozies as well!