Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Salon - My Staycation

Staycations are all the rage in the U.S. right now, with the high prices of gas and food. I'm finding it easy to stay home this summer. Do you want to know where I spent my "staycation" this week? I was able to travel all over the country, with a stack of mysteries, and one romance.

I started the week in Dorset, Connecticut. Des Mitry is the island trooper there. In David Handler's The Sour Cherry Surprise, she discovers that Sour Cherry Lane isn't as quiet as she thought. Her former boyfriend, Mitch Berger, made a movie entrance when events took a turn for the worse.

It wasn't a difficult trip from Connecticut to New Jersey. I was able to visit the
only all-comedy movie theater in the state in It Happened One Knife by Jeffrey Cohen. Elliot Freed brought back a legendary comedy team. It's too bad their return led to murder.

I was supposed to attend a wedding in Seattle, but a family curse forced the
cancellation. Even so, there was a nice non-honeymoon trip, and a budding romance in Everything But a Bride by Holly Jacobs.

Did you know there's an alternate Manhattan? I was able to join private detective
John Justin Mallory as he slipped into that alternate world in Mike Resnick's Stalking the Unicorn: A Fable for Tonight. Mallory is an interesting person to accompany when he meets up with elves, elephant taxi cabs and a unicorn hunter.

I've been spending quite a bit of time on the east coast, so I made a trip to the Jersey Shore, where it isn't all beaches and beer for Danny Boyle and John Ceepak. They're police officers in Sea Haven, New Jersey, a resort town. Hell Hole, the latest Ceepak mystery by Chris Grabenstein finds Ceepak and Boyle looking into the death of a veteran returned from the Iraq War. They're not getting a great deal of help from his buddies, and it looks like some of their own local citizens might know more than they want to tell. Despite the dark storyline, it's always fun to join Ceepak and Boyle as they investigate, to the tune of Springsteen songs.

It order to flit back and forth between the two books I'm reading right now, I need to do a little time travel. With Denise Hamilton's The Last Embrace, I'm back in Hollywood in 1949, for the investigation into the death of a young woman who went there, hoping to become a star. And, back in my home state of Ohio, it's time for a class reunion
in Cleveland with Milan Jacovich, the private investigator in Les Roberts' King of the Holly-Hop.

The nicest part of this staycation? There are no security lines, no lost luggage, and no crying babies. I can lay on the couch, surrounded by cats, and piles of books. I'm already planning my next couple trips. I think I'm going to New York City to visit with NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher, in Alafair Burke's Angel's Tip. And, then for a change of pace, I'm heading to Atlanta to meet up with the Jelly Jar Sisterhood in How Dolly Parton Saved My Life by Charlotte Connors.

Do you have any plans for a staycation this summer?

23 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Lesa, I'm presently spending my staycation in Bankok and Ireland! Am reading Timothy Hallinin's The Fourth Watcher and listening to Tana French's In the Woods. I went to Bankok from West Virginia with Ed Lynskey's The Blue Cheer. Before the summer's over I'll visit Los Angeles with Robert Crais' Chasing Darkness, Quebec in Kathy Reich's Devil Bones, Wisconsin with Michael Koryta and Envy the Night...and I, like you, will be visiting New York with Angel's Tip - love Alafair!!

lorisreadingcorner said...

I've got an ARC of Angel's Tip that I can't wait to get to.

Table Talk said...

I heard the term staycation for the first time yesterday and like you that is what I will be having this year. I've just had a week in Sweden courtesy of Stieg Larsson and at some point this week I shall be off to India with Amitav Ghosh. Who needs petrol?

Lesa said...

Hi Jen,

An international traveler! Once in a while, I head to Canada or Great Britain, but that's about the extent of my international travels. I usually spend time with Louise Penny, Sandra Ruttan, or Lou Allin in Canada. I do know I'll be going to the Shetland Islands soon to meet up with Ann Cleeves latest book.

Enjoy Bankok and Ireland!

Lesa said...

Lori,

I'm looking forward to Angel's Trip. I like Alafair Burke's books, too.

Lesa said...

Aren't you glad you don't have to make those long international flights to Sweden and India? Much more comfortable from the armchair!

SmallWorld Reads said...

I love this post! Very cool to think about traveling through your books. I am glad I haven't been in the actual places in my most recent books, however: the ghetto (twice), a concentration camp, and a spooky island in Maine. For the next couple of days I'm hanging out in Botswana, where it should be more light-hearted with Mme Ramotswe and the No 1 Ladies' Detective's latest installment.

Lesa said...

Oh, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to go where you've gone lately. Not at all my idea for a staycation.

That's my perfect idea of a staycation. A pile of books, a cluster of cats, and, I made cupcakes!

Seachanges said...

Well, I've already been away and blogged about it, I shall carry on reading as usual and visit other places as well! For the time being, I'm staying in Edinburgh with Kate Atkinson (One Good turn)...

Lesa said...

Isn't it nice to be able to extend the vacation? Edinburgh sounds nice.

Clare Dudman said...

Not heard of a Staycation before - but what a great idea. I love to travel but this year we're having a new bathroom instead so I too will be travelling just between pages. I think I'll bear this in mind for my next book - somewhere warm and exotic I think, so I can sunbathe without harming my skin. Perfect!

Ruth said...

I love the idea of a staycation. I'm not a good traveller at the best of times, so staying home to do it is a bonus for me. :) Right now I'm on a fantastic road trip through the U.S. with a long haul trucker and a poker player in 3 Aces by Richard Ide. It's turned out to be a great read and a nice switch from the military thrillers I usually curl up with.

Lesa said...

Clare -

Sounds like you might need a staycation as a change from the remodeling. Warm and exotic for you. A little chilly and snow for many of us in hot spots. (That's the only snow I like!)

Lesa said...

Ruth,

And, I know my cats are all pleased it's a staycation. They're not going to be happy if we go away for three weeks next summer. This is the perfect way for all of us staying home to enjoy other locations. And, your trip is certainly an unusual one!

naida said...

Enjoy your staycation...I'm doing that same thing this summer :)
happy reading, those sound like some great selections.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Rachael King said...

Staycation? Brilliant! My novel I'm writing at the moment is set in New Zealand, so hopefully by teh time it comes out staycations will be well and truly the only way to travel and everyone will buy my book.

thekoolaidmom said...

It Happened One Knife sounds like a fun book. I'll have to add that to my wishlist.

i've spent my staycation in Papau New Guinea, Boston, Congo, Kabul and Herat in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Watertower and China.

You, though, have been amazingly busy!

Mrs S said...

Hi Lesa - this was such a great idea - when I'm at home I'm in Bristol, England - so my geography of the USA only stretches to large cities ;)

Lesa said...

Mrs. S.,

I thought you probably weren't in the U.S., so I just wondered where home was. Thanks!

Lesa said...

KoolaidMom - I think you've been just as busy! You took some very exotic vacations! Thanks for stopping by.

Lesa said...

Thanks for stopping, Naida and Rachel! It's nice to have visitors during the staycation.

Rosemary Harris said...

Hi Lesa,
Fun post! Last week I was in Millers Kill, this week in Sweden, and next week I plan to visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Any idea what/who I'm reading?

Lesa said...

Hi Rosemary!

Thanks for stopping by. Oh, I know the first one! You were reading Julia Spencer-Fleming for Millers Kill, NY. Could be lots of people for Michigan - Deb Baker, Steve Hamilton. Let me know who for that location. And, I'm ashamed to say I haven't "traveled" to Scandinavia in a number of years, not since Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall were writing. I need to get back there because I know there's a lot of exciting things happening there. Who are reading from Sweden?