Thursday, July 31, 2008

Literary Cats

It all started with Dickens. At eight years old, he's not my oldest cat, but he was our first literary cat. He was part of a litter born behind a small lawyer's bookcase in our bedroom in Florida. When the kittens were a little older, his mother moved them to the bookcase in Jim's den. He was my literary kitten, named after Charles Dickens.

Recently, Nikki has shown a great deal of interest in books. For some reason, she found Reeve Lindbergh's Forward From Here : Leaving Middle Age--and Other Unexpected Adventures to be attractive. She'll only be four in November, so it can't be the subject matter. She must like Reeve Lindbergh's writing as much as I do.

And, then last night, the little one thought he'd get into the act. I'm now taking part in Amazon's Vine Program, reviewing books. I was so excited when I received The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. As you can see, Josh was equally pleased. He's only one, but we're already turning him into a literary cat.

How about you? Any literary cats in your life?

8 comments:

bookfool said...

Nope--my cats (Bear, Molly and Murphy) can't read a lick, lucky for them, Cookie the dog, (the mutt in my profile pic) sits down and reads to them every day.

Oh..wait...they're cats, they probably taught Cookie to read so they could relax and listen without making any effort!

I love your blog, hope its ok that I added you to my bloglist!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Bookfool!

I appreciate you adding me to your bloglist.

You're right. Your cats probably did take the lazy way out. Why should they expend the effort?

caryn said...

Well, do you count laying on whatever book I'm trying to read as literary? No, I guess that's just trolling for attention. Whatever it is, it's extremely annoying. Elsa Mae is happy to curl up on my lap while I read, but Loki needs to be between me and the book, newspaper or computer screen. Always.
Great pictures!
Caryn

Lesa said...

Thanks, Caryn.

No, I would say that possibly Loki wants to read along with you. Are you sure that's trolling for attention?

Inside A Book said...

I'm anxious to see what you think of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - and what Josh thinks of it! I heard the co-author interviewed on NPR this week and it sounds great. Be sure and keep us posted and keep the cats in books!!
Gaye

Lesa said...

Gaye,

I LOVED The Guernsey Literary Society. I'm posting my review on Saturday, but I have a small one on Amazon already. That book will probably be my #1 title for the year. Josh has good taste in books.

Nothing came in the mail for him today, so I haven't seen him since I fed dinner. He's probably pouting somewhere that he doesn't have a new book.

Literary Feline said...

You have such beautiful literary cats! My Parker seems to prefer emply boxes then ones filled with book,s but sometimes he'll try and climb in while I'm still emptying the box. He does love to lay on an open book though. :-)

Lesa said...

In my opinion, Wendy, any cat that shows an interest in books is a literary cat, particularly if they belong to a reader. (smile) Parker fits the bill.