Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beneath a Buried House

Bob Avey is on a blog tour this month, and today's my day to review his latest book. Beneath a Buried House is just a creepy book. It's a police procedural, but the eerie atmosphere of this book makes it an unusual police procedural, and the detective is eerie himself.

Tulsa Police Detective Kenny Elliot works on instinct and feeling more than other cops do. He's intuitive, and a little unorthodox. That's why no one in the police department knows exactly how to work with him, including his superiors. That's why he knows the lead singer in a rock band had something to do with his girlfriend's death, and knows the man has a hidden weapon when the cops try to talk to him. That scene is a powerful introduction to Elliot.

After wrapping that up, though, he's sent to investigate a death of a transient. However, it doesn't feel right to Elliot, and, before they know it, Elliot has connected the death of a prostitute, a local bar, a missing man, a fifteen-year-old crime, and a cult in a "time-bypassed" neighboring town. Beneath a Buried House brings the occult and mysticism to the world of crime fiction. It all adds up to a creepy crime novel, with an atmosphere heavy with tension and foreboding.

My complaints about this book lie with the publisher, Deadly Niche Press. The book is so tightly bound that it's hard to read. I had to hold the book open with both hands, and it still was tight and difficult to hold. And, it definitely needed a better editing job. The errors, missed words, and an occasional misspelling, such as manger instead of manager, appeared to be editing problems, not the author's problems.

However, if you're looking for a police procedural that departs from the ordinary, check out Beneath a Buried House.

Bob Avey's website is www.bobavey.com

Beneath a Buried House by Bob Avey. Deadly Niche Press, ©2008. ISBN 9780937660812 (paperback), 228p.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of Beneath a Buried House, Lesa. And for hosting this portion of my virtual tour. It would be a dream come true if this review could appear in the Library Journal.

Bob Avey
Author of
Beneath a Buried House

Lesa said...

Sorry, Bob. Library Journal sends ARCs to the reviewers they select to review a book. They don't pick up blog reviews. When I review for them, they've send me the ARC a couple months before release, I review it, and then when it appears on their site, I have permission to reprint on mine.

But, good luck with the book!

Anonymous said...

I suspected, perhaps even knew as much. But it was worth a try. Thanks again.

Bob Avey

Lesa said...

Bob - If you email me at lesa.holstine@gmail.com, I can tell you the good news about syndication of this review. It's just been picked up by usatoday.com, and I can send you the link.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, Lesa. If anyone has any questions about me or the book, I'd be happy to answer them. Also, chapter one of Beneath a Buried House can be read at my website at http://www.bobavey.com

Bob Avey
Author of
Beneath a Buried House

Literary Feline said...

I am glad to see someone else who has read this book and enjoyed it! I read and reviewed it a couple months ago.

I have the author's first book on my wish list and hope to eventually read that one as well.

Lesa said...

And, if you liked this one, you might want to check out L.L. Bartlett's Jeff Resnick books - the latest is Dead in Red.