Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon is the perfect way to communicate with readers around the world. This is the introduction on the site itself.

"What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book."

Since this is my first Sunday participating as a Sunday Salon blogger, I'll just introduce myself first. I've been a public librarian for thirty years, and worked in libraries even longer. I use my blog to discuss books and authors, with an emphasis on mysteries. And, since this is a worldwide salon, I'm in Glendale, Arizona in the United States.

What am I reading today? I'm reading Mariah Stewart's Mercy Street, a romantic suspense novel in which an ex-cop teams up with a cop, trying to discover what happened when two teens were murdered, and two others disappeared. How does this link with a disappearance a year earlier, when the wife and infant son of a billionaire vanished?

I'm also reading an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) of Maryann McFadden's book, The
Richest Season. It's a novel sent because I'm in the Early Reviewer program at LibraryThing, a site referred to as "the world's largest book club," where readers can catalogue their books, and discuss them with others. McFadden's book was actually self-published in 2006, and then purchased for publication by Hyperion.

This afternoon, I'll spend time reading chapters from six manuscripts since I'm serving as a judge for a writing contest, reading mainstream fiction.

For this first week, that's my Sunday reading. If you'd like to share the world's reading, check Sunday Salon.

17 comments:

J. Kaye Oldner said...

Good Morning and welcome to The Sunday Salon! It's so nice to meet new readers who love books as much as I do! I have Maryann McFadden's book on my shelf and will be getting to it shortly.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you better.

Literary Feline said...

Welcome to the Sunday Salon! I am making my Sunday Salon rounds online before settling in with my book for the rest of the morning.

Isn't the LT Early Reviewer program great?

You have your work cut out for you, being a judge in the writing contest, I imagine. Good luck with that!

Have a great week.

frumiousb said...

Hello, and welcome to the Sunday Salon! I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Everyone! What a nice welcome to Sunday Salon. I'm still stuck on Tim Russert tributes on TV this morning, but I'm going to make the rounds of Sunday Salon shortly. I'm looking forward to meeting other readers.

Thank you for the warm welcome. And, Literary Feline, yes, I LOVE the LT Early Reviewer program. I've picked up books I might not have seen. And Maryann McFadden's book is one of those.

Between Sunday news shows, the newspapers, and Sunday Salon, I think I have my future Sundays planned.

Table Talk said...

Welcome to the Salon. You'll soon find that the Salon becomes a big part of your Sunday. I would be lost without my weekly fix of literary chatter. I hope you enjoy it all as much as I do.

John's comments said...

Welcome!
This week's post

Lesa said...

Thank you, again! I'm off to spend some time with Sunday Salon.

Jaimie said...

Welcome to Sunday Salon! It is such a good way to meet people and get great recommendations! I have only been doing it for a few weeks and really enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments! Have a great week!

BooksPlease said...

Here's a welcome to the Salon from me as well. I love seeing what other people are reading, so I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.

justareadingfool said...

Welcome also. I'm a little late, because I was over at my dad's for Father's Day, watching Junior win his first NASCAR race -- yee-haw! But I wanted to pop in and say, "Hey." So hey!

Irish said...

Just wanted to add my welcome to the many that you've already received. I joined a few months back and I can't imagine a Sunday without a visit to the various Salons now. There are just so many wonderful people out there. =)

I too received The Richest Season from LT's ER program. I am looking forward to reading it.

Lesa said...

Took some time off the internet to watch Sunday Night baseball. Thank you everyone. It looks as if I fell into a very nice, friendly group of readers. I'm looking forward to Sunday Salon!

Karen Harrington said...

Welcome! I'm relatively new, too, and it is really wonderful to be introduced to so many perspectives on books, new and old. :)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Karen. It is amazing how many people are interested in talking about books on their blogs. This is going to be fun!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's not only about books, it's my way of having contact with the outside world, since I am pretty much house-bound after a bone marrow transplant.
I think I will put Mercy Street on my TBR list. It sounds like an easy summer read.

traveler one said...

HI Leesa! Thanks for commenting on my blog! It's nice to meet another newbie :) and isn't it serendipitous that we both used the same quotation as out opening remark?
Let's have fun!

Lesa said...

Elizabeth, if you read this, check out my review of Mercy Street, posted on Monday, now that I finished it. I'll be intereseted in reading your continuing blog, since it is your outlook on the world.

Like you, Traveler One, I felt that quote was a perfect introduction to Sunday Salon.

Thanks for commenting!