Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday Salon - After Rubicon




How do you decide what to read after you've finished a perfect book? I just finished Lawrence Alexander's political thriller, Rubicon. For those of us who are suspicious of the motivations and moves of the current administration, this book hits home. The story of an honest Senator, trying to find his way through lies and deception to find the truth behind political assassinations, is a fascinating book. Political junkies should definitely read this novel, particularly in an election year. How much truth is behind this novel? The reader will have to decide.

So, after finishing Rubicon, or any terrific book, I have a hard time settling into the next book. I usually sample, a little of this one, and a little of that, to find one that I can enjoy after the last good one. Although I have at least fifty books in my closet, these are the ones I picked for the short stack today.

After the political nature of Rubicon, maybe I should dip into Sara Paretsky's nonfiction book, Writing in an Age of Silence. According to the book jacket, "Sara Paretsky explores the traditions of political and literary dissent that have informed her life and work, against the unparalleled repression of free speech and thought in the USA today." It would certainly fit the spirit of Rubicon.

Or, I might look back, with Kenneth C. Davis' book, America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation. It's another book that would be a logical successor to Rubicon.

I'm tempted by the cover of Billie Letts' latest novel, Made in the U.S.A. It's one
of the most attractive covers I've seen in a long time. It's the story of two abandoned children searching for a family and a place to call home.

Or, I could go back to Maryann McFadden's The Richest Season, the book I set aside when Janet Evanovich's latest book, Fearless Fourteen, arrived. It's the story of a corporate wife who has had enough with moving, and packs up to move to Pawleys Island, South Carolina.

Decisions, decisions. It's a tough choice for a Sunday morning, but I think I can handle it. How do you decide what you'll read after you finish one of those books that you put down with a sigh of happiness?

16 comments:

BooksPlease said...

I nearly always struggle to find the right book to read after I've finished a book that I loved reading. It's almost as though my mind tells me nothing can live up to that book. I do what you do - sample those books I've been wanting to read and then I find that they are just not right at that time. In the end I usually go for something completely different.

Lesa said...

It is hard, isn't it? I think I'm going for the Sara Paretsky. It's a series of essays, and the first one deals, in part, with Little Women. One of my favorite books.

Clare Dudman said...

Tough one! I think I'd go for the Letts because that one sounds so different from the political thriller. I know exactly what you mean, though. After reading a good novel, you just feel like you need to give it space.

Lesa said...

I went for the Paretsky, Clare, since it's a small book of essays. That Letts book is staring at me, though, because the cover is so eye-catching.

Table Talk said...

I didn't know about the Paretsky non-fiction. I love her books and thought her latest 'Bleeding Kansas', which is more political than her thrillers, was excellent. Thanks for the reference.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, "Table Talk"! And, I'll have to take a look at Bleeding Kansas. So, you've returned the favor.

wisteria said...

Lesa...
I recommend the Davis book, America's Hidden History. I just finished it. Take a look at my post. Also, I just saw the Billie Lett book. I know I'll read that very soon.
I'll also have to read the Paretsky book. Thanks, Wisteria.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Wisteria! I'm going to check out your post about Davis' book.

Jaimie said...

That sounds like a great book! The Peretsky or the Davis might be a good follow up to it.

thekoolaidmom said...

I'd say go for America's Hidden History, but that's for entirely selfish reasons. I want to know more about it, another Sunday Salon blog (forget now which one, I've read so many) recommended it.

BUT, after a terrifying political novel, you might want to relax with the Billie Letts novel.

So many books! So little time...

justareadingfool said...

I would have gone for the Paretsky book too...the Letts book, while the cover is intriguing, probably won't live up to the promise and it will be about the children staying abandoned and not being able to find a home or finding a home and it's really not a good one. Maybe I'm a cynic, but that's my guess.

Lesa said...

OK - I'd already gone for Paretsky, but everyone has me convinced to go for Davis' America's Hidden History next. I'll finish Paretsky today, and then go for that. Thanks everyone!

SmallWorld Reads said...

I love Billie Letts! I'm adding that to my TBR list, thanks!

Lesa said...

You're welcome. And, this one has another Wal-Mart crisis. Should be good I think "Justareadingfool"'s guess is wrong. (grin)

Jill said...

I can't wait to read your review of Made in the U.S.A. It's sitting in my TBR pile. I think you'll enjoy The Richest Season, but I'll be interested to see what you think. Happy reading!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jill. I'll get back to The Richest Season shortly. And, happy reading to you, too!