Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jim Recommends - The Last Campaign

By now, anyone who reads this blog regularly should know my husband's political views. Jim recommends The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America by Thurston Clarke. He said it's a nostalgic look at the last 82 days of Bobby Kennedy's life and his campaign for the presidential nomination. His caring for the poor, disadvantaged and minorities in America comes across strongly in this book. It's also a good portrait of the ruthless Bobby, and the change into the caring Bobby.

Jim said, John Greenleaf Whittier sums it up perfectly in his poem, "Maud Muller".

"Who vainly the dreams of youth recall;
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: "It might have been!"

The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America by Thurston Clarke. Henry Holt and Company, ©2008. ISBN 9780805077926 (hardcover), 336p.

4 comments:

caryn said...

I'm behind on the posts abit as I only get over to the blog a couple of times a week. Not only did we get King Con from the library, but now I see we're going to have to look for both Rubican and The Last Campaign!
Great reviews Lesa (and Jim).

Lesa said...

Thanks, Caryn! Jim loves it when he gets some input on the blog. And, he enjoyed all three of these books. King Con is one of his favorites. He recommended Rubicon to me, and the other book to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesa and Jim,

Looks like a good book that my husband would be interested in reading. I plan on getting Rubicon as soon as I finish Maiden's Grave. Sounds like it was written for me. Jeffrey Deaver was an excellent speaker. Thanks for inviting me.

Cathy

Lesa said...

Cathy,

I've posted the summary of the afternoon. Thanks for going with us! Jim said he could tell why I enjoy your company. He really enjoyed spending the afternoon with you. And, I think you'll like Rubicon!