Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Book Challenge Update

Back in January, my niece, Elizabeth, challenged me, saying she could read more books than I did this year.

We're both enjoying the challenge. I sent her a purple journal to keep track of her books.

Elizabeth sent me a tee shirt from her school's Right to Read Week, saying Reading Roundup.

And, how are we doing? Here was my email from Elizabeth today.

Dear Aunt Lesa,
How many books have you read? I have read more than 70. I am still reading now so the number might get even bigger! I might even read more than 100 by the time July comes.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth

And, me? I've read 71 books so far, and I'm writing Elizabeth to tell her it sounds as if she's a little ahead of me.

Keep reading, Elizabeth! You're doing great. Have fun!

6 comments:

Lorraine_Bartlett said...

Go you for encouraging your niece to read. My nieces all loved to read...before they became teenagers. (Although one of them did become a special ed teacher and I'm assuming she still reads.) It's rather heartbreaking when they turn away from books because they're BORING. My youngest niece got her driving permit today. I still haven't given up hope that one day she'll rediscover the joy of reading. Right now--driving, nail polish, and BOYS are more important.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Lorraine!

If school doesn't spoil her love of reading, she'll come back to it someday. We lose so many readers between sixteen and the time they marry and have kids. Women tend to come back to the library after they are done with carpools.

Elizabeth's mother is raising four kids, and Elizabeth is the youngest. It was just in the past year that she got back into reading.

Les said...

You are both doing great! I've only managed to read 24 so far this year. I should quit my job. No wait! That's how I get all these ARCs! :)

Lesa said...

I'm still working, Les! Elizabeth is the one who gets the summer off, not me. Fortunately, I have a husband who is a reader. I have at least a couple hours of reading time every night.

Les said...

My husband's a voracious reader, too, Lesa. However, we've been spending our evenings catching up on Battlestar Gallactica (Season 3). Now that we're finished, maybe we'll spend the next few weeks catching up on our reading. :)

Lesa said...

We spend our evenings watching baseball or politics. Fortunately, neither of them are shows that demand are whole attention, so we still get some reading done.