Thursday, May 22, 2008

Twenty Wishes

I enjoyed Debbie Macomber's The Shop on Blossom Street so much that I talked it up, and our library's book club discussed it. The next two books in the Blossom Street series let me down. Nice stories, but nothing great. With Twenty Wishes Debbie Macomber may have written the best in her series. Pull out the tissues, and prepare for happy endings with tears.

At 38, Anne Marie Roche is a widow, and the owner of Blossom Street Books in Seattle. Despite some marital problems, she and her husband had reunited before his death, and a year later she still feels desolate. She looks to the other shop owners on Blossom Street, along with three widows in her book group, for friendship.

Valentine's Day hits Anne Marie and the other widows hard. At a small party at the bookstore, Anne Marie's idea of a list of twenty wishes inspires the other women. They all want someone to love again, and that will be on their list, along with nineteen other ideas, some whimsical and some realistic. Even with the lists in hand, it isn't easy to find love, and recover from loss.

Debbie Macomber writes warm books of friendship and love. The right ones bring tears, because they move the reader. For me, Twenty Wishes is one of those books, satisfying when finished. My first wish? That you find a good book that moves you. Twenty Wishes might be it.

Debbie Macomber's website is www.debbiemacomber.com

Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. Mira, ©2008. ISBN 9780778325505 (hardcover), 360p.

8 comments:

Kay said...

I am looking forward to reading this one. I agree with your assessment of SHOP ON BLOSSOM STREET and then next two. They were OK, but not wonderful. Glad to hear this one has that special spark. Think I may take on my vacation in late June.

Lesa said...

Thanks for letting me know you agree with me, Kay. Hope you like this one. It should be a perfect vacation book.

Booklogged said...

I've only read the first in the Blossom Street series, but have the next on the shelf and also the first in her other series - 16 something something.

Maybe I'll just skip to this one and not read the other two Blossom Streets.

lorisreadingcorner said...

I finished this a few days ago and LOVED it.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Lori! Well, Booklogged, Lori and I both loved the fourth one. The only thing is, you'll miss a few characters by not reading the other two, but since they're not prominent in this one, that would probably be ok. Especially since you're "Booklogged". (smile)

Les said...

I read the first and thought it was good, but not great. Haven't read the others, but this one sounds like something I'd enjoy. (I've taken note of what you said to Booklogged in the above comment.)

Lesa said...

If you read it, let me know what you think, Les. It's definitely better than the middle two books.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!
Look into my weblog learn to play piano