Monday, May 19, 2008

The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth, the fourth book in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, is just as riveting as the other books. If you're a fantasy fan, or interested in Greek mythology, and you haven't discovered Riordan's books, you're missing a wonderful treat.

I always read the Percy Jackson books quickly, and, in a state of anxiety. Percy's adventures always make me nervous for him and his friends. Good characters do die in these books, so, although Percy has to go on for a couple more books, there are no assurances any other characters will.

Percy's fourteen, and attending orientation at one more school before he leaves for Camp Half-Blood. As usual, with poor Percy, school's disrupted when monsters attack Percy and his friend, Rachel, have to run for their lives. Rachel Elizabeth Dare is a very unusual mortal who seems to be able to see through the mist, and recognize monsters. Despite her ability, Rachel isn't a half-blood, and Percy's ready for summer vacation at Camp Half-Blood, the retreat for children who are half-mortal, children of the gods.

When Percy and his friend, Annabeth, arrive at camp, they discover that Luke, the rebel, is trying to locate Daedalus' workshop in the labyrinth, in order to bring the monsters through to destroy Camp Half-Blood. For Luke, it's one more step in the uprising against the gods, in an attempt to overthrow Olympus and bring Kronos back to power.

The Battle of the Labyrinth is another fascinating book in the series. As in any good fantasy, it has a terrific battle scene. It marks the return of old friends, Percy and Annabeth, Grover and Tyson, Rachel and Nico de Angelo, as well as old enemies. It also introduces a wonderful pet who, I'm sure, will be returning, Mrs. O'Leary, the hellhound. My biggest complaint about the Percy Jackson & The Olympians books? Now, it will be another year until Percy returns.

Rick Riordan's website is www.rickriordan.com

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. Hyperion Books for Children, ©2008. ISBN 978-1-4231-0146-8 (hardcover), 361p.

6 comments:

Jody said...

I met Rick Riordan at Bouchercon in Austin a few years ago. When he came out with the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series, I started buying the books for my grandson. My grandson didn't think he would like the first book, but loved it. He is now 15 & had been eagerly awaiting the new book since December. He read it all during Mother's Day weekend. I'm still waiting for him to loan the books to me for reading. 8-)

Lesa said...

What? He won't give them up, Jody?
My nephew, who is also 15, is just as hooked as your grandson. And, of course, there's me. I was on the top of the waiting list at my library. Had to read the new Percy Jackson & the Olympians!

Kay said...

I'm in the process of reading this as well. Am loving it of course! Rick Riordan had a big, big event downtown at Book People for the launch of this book. Over 3,000 or something like that. I've had kids coming in asking for this book already. We don't have it yet. I bought mine and have other staff members that are waiting for me to pass my copy around. Love that Percy!!

Lesa said...

Isn't Percy great? And, I think any author who can bring out crowds of 3,000, many of them young people, is great!

Christie said...

Lesa--I thought this was just out, so I mentioned it to Tony and he had already read it! He said, "Oh, Nick bought it, he loaned it to me. After I read it, I gave it to Jasmine. She passed it on to Evan and when he is done with it I think Walter and William will get it." Sounds like it is really making the rounds of the
7th grade in Bellevue. He agreed that the worst part was waiting a year for the next one.

Lesa said...

And, it's making its way quickly through the class. It really hasn't been out that long, but the library took a couple weeks to get it, and then I didn't have time to read it for a week. Dan's probably already read it, although Linda made him wait for a weekend.

I love a book that kids share! And, he's right. Waiting is the worst part.