Thursday, April 03, 2008

May Bestsellers? Maybe

I seldom include nonfiction in my list of possible bestsellers. With the political, religious and financial books on the lists, it's hard to predict the other books that might break through. However, I have great hopes for Rick Bragg's new book, The Prince of Frogtown. This is the final volume in Bragg's trilogy that began with All Over But the Shoutin', and continued with Ava's Man. Now, Bragg reflects on the relationship between fathers and sons, since he himself is a stepfather.

Sara Addison Allen's Garden Spells, a wonderful novel, was a surprise hit last year. She follows that up with The Sugar Queen, the story of Josey Cirrini, who finds herself engulfed in life after allowing an abused woman to move in. As with Bragg's book, I'm hoping for good things with this one.

Charlaine Harris brings back Sookie Stackhouse in From Dead to Worse, a novel that changes Sookie's world.

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz is the fourth adventure for Odd Thomas, one set in a small California coastal town.

Debbie Macomber's Twenty Wishes is a Blossom Street Book. It's the story of a recent widow who compiles a list of twenty things she always wanted to do, but never did.

Will Stephenie Meyer be a success out of the young adult market? The Host is the story of woman whose body is taken over by a species that invades human hosts, but Melanie refuses to relinquish her mind.

Place your requests now for the May publications, either at your local public library, or through your favorite bookstore.

14 comments:

Chellie said...

Why do you say: "a novel that changes Sookie's world"?

What have you heard?!?

Chellie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesa! Have you already read Twenty Wishes? She will be in AZ June 5,6 & 7 doing the following signings...

Thursday, June 05, 2008
7PM Book Signing
Borders
7135 East Camelback Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85251

Friday, June 06, 2008

4:30-6:30 PM Book Signing
Fry's Market # 674
13982 West Wadell
Surprise, AZ 85379

Saturday, June 07, 2008

1:00 PM Book Signing
A Good Yarn
220 West Goodwin Street
Prescott, AZ 86303

Thought you might be interested!

Lesa said...

Sookie's World - Here's what is says in the blurb. "Following Hurricane Katrina and the explosion at the vampire summit, Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, is already stressed when she learns that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing. Changes are afoot for the weres and vamps of Louisiana and Sookie finds herself right in the middle of it. In the ensuing battles, she faces danger, death, and once more, betrayal by someone she lvoes. When all is said and done, Sookie's world will be forever altered."

Lesa said...

No, I haven't read Debbie Macomber's Twenty Wishes yet. I'm on the waiting list at the library. Thanks for the schedule! I hope I can get to see her in Scottsdale.

Chellie said...

Thanks for the blurb!

Chellie

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Chellie. I hope you're still enticed by the description.

Liviania said...

Many of those are books I mean to pick up . . . eventually. I still need to finish ODD THOMAS.

Les said...

I loved Odd Thomas, but didn't care for Forever Odd or Brother Odd nearly as much. I still have high hopes for this next installment, though!

I read (and reviewed) Rick Bragg's upcoming release. Unfortunately, I didn't care too much for it. Loved All Over But the Shoutin' but didn't like Ava's Man or The Prince of Frogtown. I guess I just prefer Rick's stories more than his dad's or grandfather's.

Lesa said...

Well, darn, Les. There hasn't been anything from Rick in so long, I was hoping The Prince of Frogtown would be as good as All Over But the Shoutin'. That was my favorite, too.

Well, I'll try it when it comes out, and hope I like it.

I don't read Koontz often, but my husband had the same reaction to the books in the series as you did. He's giving the next one a try, as well.

Lesa said...

Livi,

As I told Les, I don't usually read Koontz. Odd Thomas is the one she and Jim liked the most in the series.

Les said...

Lesa, would you like my ARC of The Prince of Frogtown? You are more than welcome to it, if you like.

Lesa said...

Les -

I'd LOVE your copy of The Prince of Frogtown. And, since I give my address to everyone, I'll even put it here, so I can get the ARC. Thank you!

Lesa Holstine
5901 W. Behrend Dr. #1069
Glendale, AZ 85308

Les said...

I'll get it in the mail Monday or Tuesday, Lesa. Enjoy!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Les! I'm looking forward to it.