Monday, March 31, 2008

Comfort Food

I recently reviewed Kate Jacobs' novel, Comfort Food, for the April 1 issue of Library Journal. Here's the review, reprinted with permission.

Jacobs, Kate. Comfort Food. Putnam. May 2008. c.352p. ISBN 978-0-399-15465-2. $24.95. F

Jacobs follows her debut novel, The Friday Night Knitting Club, with this much stronger second effort. About to turn 50, Augusta "Gus" Simpson is feeling old. When the ratings of the cooking show she hosts fall, the network owner forces Gus to take on a new producer, a new format, and a new cohost, Carmen Vega, Miss Spain 1999. Despite Carmen's culinary institute degree, Gus is not impressed, and it's dislike at first sight. However, the trial show, thrown together with the assistance of Gus's two daughters, an ex-boyfriend, and the hunky producer, ends up a hit, and suddenly, Gus must nurture this uncooperative group. Jacobs adds a touch of reality by including celebrity chefs such as Rachael Ray. The book's only flaw is the unnecessary addition of a character who wins an appearance on the show. Otherwise, Gus and the show's cast, with their humor, moods, and romance, are the sparks that bring this warm and irresistible story to life. Highly recommended for all public libraries. - Lesa M. Holstine, Glendale P.L., AZ

Copyright © 2008 Cahners Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Reprinted with permission.

As a point of interest, Julia Roberts is set to star in the movie adaptation of Jacobs' first novel, The Friday Night Knitting Club.

12 comments:

Les said...

These both sound so good! Off to add them to my TBR wish list. :)

Lesa said...

Especially Comfort Food, Les!

Anonymous said...

I loved Friday Night Knitting Club and I can't wait for Comfort Food to come out. I'm #1 on the WL for it on PBS.

Lesa said...

Write back and tell me what you thought of Comfort Food after you read it!

Kay said...

I knew this one was coming out and I have a copy of THE FRIDAY NIGHT KNITTING CLUB around here somewhere. Keep meaning to read it. This will be my push to move it forward and then look for this new one. Nice review, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kay! If you don't get to The Friday Night Knitting Club, pick up Comfort Food instead. I found it fun.

lorisreadingcorner said...

Hrmph! Entertainment Weekly did not give it a good review.

Lesa said...

Lori, Booklist didn't give it a great review either, but I don't care. I thought it was everything it was supposed to be - fun, warm, topical. We're not talking great literature. For me, it struck the right chord.

lorisreadingcorner said...

I still can't wait to read it. I almost bought it at B&N tonight, but I didn't have any coupons with me. I might have to go back tomorrow :)

Lesa said...

Let me know what you think when you read it, Lori!

lorisreadingcorner said...

I just got it. I have one book "ahead" of it and then I'm going to dive in :)

Lesa said...

I know what those TBR piles are like, Lori! Let me know what you think when you finish it.