Monday, February 04, 2008

Interview with Kristin Hannah

Kristin Hannah's novel, Firefly Lane, is scheduled for release on February 5. She took time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions.

Lesa - Kristin, thank you so much for answering questions today on my blog. Some of my readers might be familiar with your book, On Mystic Lake. You've returned to Washington state for your new book, Firefly Lane. Would you tell us about your background, and your love for Washington?

Kristin - I have lived in Washington state for most of my life, and I really love this wet, wild, blue-gray corner of the world, and I love showing readers this place through my eyes. I know a lot of people can't imagine living in this climate - too rainy, too soggy, too many days without sunshine - but for those of us who can take all that, this is truly a magical place. They don't call it the Evergreen State for nothing. When the sun shines, it's really one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Lesa - Would you give us your summary of Firefly Lane?

Kristin - I'd love to. Firefly Lane is a book I've been wanting to write for a long time. Maybe that's because it's a story I've wanted to read. I used to love the big, emotional, female-driven books of the eighties - novels where we saw much of the characters' lives play out against changing times and different locations. That's what Firefly is - a big, sprawling, emotional valentine to female friendship. More precisely, it's about two girls who meet as young teenagers and swear to be best friends forever. Throughout their lives that friendship remains imortant and solid, until a shocking act of betrayal threatens to ruin everything.

Lesa - I was going to ask you about your favorite characters, but I saw on your website that Tully Hart from Firefly Lane is one of them. Since I preferred Kate, why is Tully one of your favorites?

Kristin - I think the reason I like Tully is that she's so unlike me. Usually my characters are rational, grounded, thoughtful people. Tully was so much larger than life. I had to really change the way I saw the world to write her, and once I got into her head, I enjoyed myself. It's probably the closest I've ever come to being an actress - I really had to dig deep to find the Tully in me. Although, I still love Izzy from Mystic and Alice from Magic Hour...

Lesa - Your website said you started to write a book with your mother, who knew you would be a writer. Did parts of that story ever appear in any of your books?

Kristin - That story was incredibly bad. :) I worked and re-worked it for several years, but I finally had to admit that my mom and I had devised a loser. It was the springboard for everything, though, and I often think that her final gift to me was this career. I like to think she's proud.

Lesa - What can you tell us, Kristin, about your next book?

Kristin - Actually, I've just turned in my next book, and I'm now in the process of revising it. As many people know, I'm a very extensive reviser, so I'm not entirely sure how it will all shake out, but I can say this: it's an emotional story about three sisters and the men who rip them apart and the man who brings them back together. So far, I'm loving it.

Lesa - You just started a blog on your website, www.KristinHannah.com . What do you hope to do with it?

Kristin - I hope to keep it interesting and timely and to connect with readers on a more personal level. I was really scared to jump into the whole cyberspace chat thing, but I've found that I enjoy it. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. :)

Lesa - And, one last question that I always ask. Kristin, I'm a public librarian. Do you have any special memories or comments about libraries?

Kristin - Are you kidding? Where would any of us be without libraries and librarians? One of the highlights of my life as a parent was the day I took my young son's hand and led him into our local library to get his very own card. As for all of us, that was his first passport to other worlds. He began with Roald Dahl and moved on to J.K. Rowling and is now tearing it up with Stephen King. Our local library was a big part of that.

Thank you, Kristin, for taking time for an interview. I'll repeat some of the information I provided in an earlier blog.

Kristin Hannah's website is www.kristinhannah.com. Check out the website for her Best Friends Contest. She also has a contest to give away signed copies of Firefly Lane, if you sign up for her newsletter. There's a new blog, which will be of interest to any Kristin Hannah fans. Check out the dates for her tour for Firefly Lane, with a publication date of Feb. 5.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. St. Martin's Press, ©2008. ISBN 978-0312364083 (hardcover), 496p.

1 comment:

Italia said...

This book is one that will make you sigh, laugh, cry, and angry. You don't realize how involved in these characters lives you are until then end. This book takes you through the lives of two best friends and the struggles they go through as the years pass. These girls have been through everything together, an addicted mother, getting arrested, and anything else two teen girls can get into. As they come into adulthood things start to change, but they are still always at each other's side.