Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sidetracked by Christmas

Christmas cookies. I made spritz cookies, two types of snowballs, chocolate chip cookies. Christie's molasses cookies, twice. Christmas candy in our household was buckeyes, made twice. Then there's the Chocolate-Cherry Truffle Cake I made for today's Christmas luncheon at work. I love the holidays, and I love to bake for them. My sister, Christie, was making at least ten types of cookies with the help of her kids. I know my sister, Linda, is baking because she asked for Christie's recipe for molasses cookies. And, it's not truly Christmas until my Mother's gumdrop bars arrive in the mail. That's the scent of Christmas. My grandmother baked for Christmas, and it's been passed on in our family.

So, my reading has been sidetracked. I haven't finished a book in a week and a half. Too much fun in the kitchen. So, here are the books that I'm partway through. Maybe I'll get a chance to finish them soon.

I'm reading Georgette Heyer's Cotillion, a Regency romance. It's a wonderful book. Heyer was the master at Regency romances, and it's a fun book. Her books are just starting to be reprinted. I'm enjoying it, and I should have time to finish it soon.

Notorious is Michele Martinez' forthcoming suspense novel. It's due out in February, and I was lucky enough to receive an ARC through LibraryThing. This one is a book you'll want to order at the library or your local bookstore. It marks the return of federal prosecutor Melanie Vargas, who witnesses the car bombing of her opposing counsel.

And, I can't believe I haven't even had a chance to open T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton. I'm getting to that as soon as I can.

So, do you have books that have been sidetracked by your holidays? If so, what books are waiting for you?

11 comments:

Les said...

Well, the most recently arrivals in my home are an ARC of of The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly and Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. But I have little time for reading, let alone baking. I may have to skip the Christmas treats and focus on some Valentine goodies. I love to make shortbread cookies this time of year, but there's no reason why I can't bake them in February. Probably goes for the Rugelach, too. Ahh, I feel a sense of freedom!

Maria said...

All books are sidetracked because I've been...Cooking too! Key Lime pie, coconut cream pie (this is the time of year I try new recipes) snowball cookies, peanut brittle...!

I have Jim Hines ARC of Goblin War. I'm really looking forward to that. Three other books to read, one hold that came in at the library (The Electric Church by Somers) and a book by Bill Crider.

I'll start reading as soon as I sit down for longer than 10 minutes! Once Christmas is actually here and I stop cooking, I'll start eating and reading.

Merry Christmas!

Lesa said...

Les, I hope you're enjoying whatever you're doing this time of year. Enjoy the freedom! And, just think, you only have baking for Valentine's Day, not shopping, parties, or whatever is keeping you occupied right now.

I'm waiting to hear what people say about The Winter Rose. Let us know!

Lesa said...

Maria,

You're so right. I still have cooking to do Christmas Eve and Christmas.

I'm going to have some downtime this weekend, and then starting again on Christmas day.

Right now, it's hard to even concentrate when I do pick up a books. But like you, I enjoy all the baking, and I try new recipes. The Chocolate-Cherry Truffle Cake was a smash!

No wonder there isn't much published at the end of December. Who has time to read?

Les said...

Ah, this time of year I'm busy helping customers at Barnes & Noble. You know, the customers who somehow seemed to have forgotten that Christmas falls on December 25th. Go figure. By the time I get home from a long day, I'm wiped out. A little dinner, a little wine, a few dishes, a little wine, and then off to bed with my book (and hubby, of course!). I'm lucky if I can stay awake to read a dozen pages. Sigh. This will NOT be there usual year of 80+ books. More like 60, I think.

Lesa said...

Ah, Les. At least from what you've said earlier, you're enjoying helping all those people at Barnes & Noble.

No rest for the good book enablers. After Christmas, you'll have those people who received gift cards!

Enjoy a little downtime on Christmas - maybe a little more wine?

And, Merry Christmas, Les! I wish you tons of good books in 2008!

Chrissy said...

Hi all, the most recent book i have read is called the Go Giver and I couldn't put it down. The Go-Giver by Bob Burg and John David Mann was different from other books. I actually couldn't put it down. Although i as well love my wine with a good read, i had to have the fire on for this one!
Everyone, have a wonderful christmas and all the best in 2008.
I'll be back to find out what other books y'all are reading.

Regards,
Chrissy

Lesa said...

Thank you, Chrissy. You have a wonderful Christmas as well.

Kay said...

I am getting so little reading done it is awful. However, I'm hoping that will change soon. I've been trying to finish Slay Ride by Chris Grabenstein so that I can start Hell for the Holidays. I also have an arc of the new Deanna Raybourn book, Silent int eh Sanctuary. Another arc I snagged is Cornielia Read's new book, The Crazy School. I'm just panting to read all these. Maybe soon.

Happy holidays to you, Lesa! Hope they are most restful.

Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesa said...

OOOOH. I'm jealous, Kay. You have Deanna Raybourn's and Cornelia Read's.

Who am I kidding though? I'm already behind!

Merry Christmas, Kay! I hope you have a lovely holiday, with some time to relax.