Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Personal Opinion

A regular reader of my blog asked me a few thoughtful questions today, and I thought maybe other readers might want to know the answers. She's a very perceptive reader, who has seen enough of my reviews to notice a pattern.

She noticed that most of my reviews are positive ones, and I seldom have negative reviews. She's right, but it's not because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Most of the time, I'm reading books for my own enjoyment. If I'm not enjoying a book, I'm not going to finish it. And, I don't review books I don't finish. So, most reviews you read here will be positive.

I do review books that are sent to me, though, from Library Journal, LibraryThing's Early Reviewer Program, and BlogCritics.org.
When I review for one of those sources, I feel obligated to finish the book, whether or not I enjoy it. Those are books that might get a negative review.

She also asked about my friendship with authors. I do know a number of authors, but I wouldn't consider it a close friendship with any of them. I respect them very much, but I hope they know that if I read and review their books, I will give an honest opinion. Keep in mind, even then, that if I don't finish the book because I couldn't get into it, a review won't appear here.

I hope this answers the questions about the many positive reviews that appear on this blog. I agree. No one can like everything they read. And, I don't. I just don't bother finishing a book if I don't like it.

Too many good books out there, not enough time!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the books you read. I thoroughly enjoy your blog and am thankful to have found you! :)

Lesa said...

And, Joy? I appreciate having readers who comment and read the blog regularly. Thank you!