Friday, December 07, 2007

A Christmas Meme

I try to read Kay's blog, My Random Acts of Reading, regularly, and today she had A Christmas Meme. She said, if you haven't done it, consider yourself tagged. So, I'm going to answer her questions.


What is your most enduring Christmas memory?

I had a wonderful childhood of Christmases. Christmas Eve was spent at my Grandma & Grandpa Smith's, and we watched in the dark sky for Rudolph's nose when we were on the way home. My sister, Christie, was born two days before Christmas, so that Christmas, my sister, Linda and I stayed at Grandma's. I remember staying up with my cousin, Joe, while everyone else went to Midnight Mass. I remember the year my mother made dresses for dolls for us, and we had those dolls, and a kitchen set in the living room Christmas morning. But, one of my best memories is from the time I was an adult. I was always the first one up on Christmas morning as a child, and that year, I had an apartment, and didn't think I should be at my parents' too early. So, I didn't show up until 7 or 7:30, and my father was waiting in the driveway for me. He told me he'd been waiting hours for me. That was when I realized my father loved Christmas as much as I did, and he shared my excitement.


Do you have a favourite piece of Christmas music?
I love White Christmas, and I'll Be Home for Christmas. Both songs take me home.


Do you stick to the old family traditions?
Oh, yes. But, our most important one is when Jim & I read to each other. Every Christmas Eve, we read before we open presents. He reads Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus, and the Bible story from Luke. I read O. Henry's Gift of the Magi, and sit there and cry.


What makes your mouth water at Christmas time?
My mother's gumdrop bars. When I open them, I close my eyes, and I smell Christmas.


How soon do you put the Christmas tree up and when do you take it down?
We put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving, and take it down New Year's weekend.

Would you like to play? Answer the questions in the Christmas Meme.

4 comments:

Clea Simon said...

Well, my family is Jewish so we celebrate Chanukah, not Christmas. But I do have a Christmas memory to share. Every Christmas season, my best friend's father would set up, around their Christmas tree (they are Catholic) a very intricate little race car track. Jeanne Marie and I would spend HOURS racing the little cars around that, in the multi-colored glow of the different Christmas lights blinking on and off. I don't think we did anything else the entire last week of December and I still remember that fondly. She's now in South Carolina, I'm in Massachusetts, but we stay in touch because of memories like that.

Lesa said...

Isn't it nice, Clea, how memories keep us together? My best friend's family bought me an electric train when I was in high school, because I was so fascinated by the train they had under their tree.

How many people think of trains and race cars for their girls?

Kay said...

Lesa, thanks for picking up the meme. I'm in shock about the Reuters mention. Wow. See, I knew you were famous but you're carrying me along with you! *GRIN*

Lesa said...

That was a nice meme, Kay. I was surprised Reuters picked it up since it was so personal.

You deserve to be famous! I enjoy your blog. It's fun, isn't it?