Monday, November 05, 2007

A Note from Hank Phillippi Ryan

Hank Phillippi Ryan was generous enough to give autographed copies of her two Charlie McNally mysteries as prizes in the contests here. I wanted to give Ryan, the author of Prime Time and Face Time, the opportunity to talk about her books.

Dear Readers:

In my thirty years as a television reporter, I have wired myself with hidden cameras, confronted corrupt politicians and chased down criminals--and it's been so rewarding to know that my work has changed laws and changed lives.

But I must admit--there's a nothing as exhilarating and satisfying as knowing that new readers will be entering the world of the Charlotte McNally Mysteries. When I first got the idea for Prime Time--and I remember the moment perfectly--I instantly became obsessed with writing the novel that would explain the mysterious message that I actually got on my computer. In Face Time--I wondered what would happen if Charlie staked her career on proving a convicted murderer was innocent--and then began to wonder if they were actually guilty? And who would want to dupe her into such a mammoth mistake? And why is eyewitness identification so dangerous?


Charlotte McNally--a smart, savvy, successful reporter who is married to her TV job and wonders what happens when the camera doesn't love her anymore--became my new best friend. I loved creating Charlie's world--with all the good guys--and bad guys--and all of her challenges to uncover the blockbuster stories she hopes will save her job. And at 46--she's fighting the battle against being replaced by a 20-something.

Is Charlie me? That's what everyone is curious about. My husband insists: yes. I insist: no. She's--younger than I am. She's braver than I am. I've never been held at gunpoint by a psychopath. Charlie and I do share a sense of humor and a way of looking at the world. But everyone in television who reads about her says--her stories are a real insider look at how the TV news biz works. And it isn't always a pretty picture.

Here's the scoop--my next Charlotte McNally mystery--coming soon--is Air Time. Everyone in TV knows that's what you struggle for--more air time. There's deception, intrigue and murder in big-city airports. (And a pretty juicy explanation of why the airlines lose so many suitcases.) What's more, it's a different kind of air time for Charlie--this intrepid reporter is terrified of flying. And if she's going to break her next big story--she's going to have to take to the air.

So thank you so much for entering Charlie's world! And for entering the fabulous contests on Lesa's site. (Aren't they amazing?) After you finish hanging out here, visit me! www.hankphillippiryan.com

All the best, and with much gratitude,
Hank

4 comments:

Joy said...

I enjoyed reading Hank's letter. Thanks for sharing.

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Hey Joy--Thanks so much!
You're the first to know--I just sent the completed Air Time to my independent editor (for one final look before I send it to my editor in New York!) so tonight--I'm celebrating.

Hope you will, too!
xox Hank

Lesa said...

Thanks for letting us know, Hank! Good luck with Air Time. Sounds great. Poor Charlie. Once again, you're putting her in a tough situation.

Joy said...

How exciting for you, Hank!

So...when do you start the next one? :)