Sunday, November 04, 2007

Alexander



Alexander is the first science fiction novella by Tanya Yvonne. It's planned as the first in the Alexander series, in which Alexander, a five-year-old at the start of the series, becomes aware of his own abilities.

Alexander is the product of an experimentation by the higher mortals of the planet Gaia. Philana, the leader, believes it's best to study humans in their natural habitat. She views them as the missing link in the higher mortals evolutionary chain. She's opposed by Alcina, who views Alexander as a failed experiment, and plans to eliminate him.

Since Alexander's mother died, he only has his twenty-four-year-old Aunt Brina to support him. Through the scientific work of the higher mortals, Brina and Alexander will have to find the strength to fight Alcina's cohorts.

Although Alexander is an interesting debut for a science fiction author, there are some problems with the work. There is little character or plot development. Even a novella should have both. The ending is too abrupt, even though the work is meant to be the first in a series. Yvonne has set up an interesting premise, in which higher mortals observe the humans and earth, and interfere in their lives. Perhaps she needs to work on Alexander as a novel, rather than a novella, a format which does not leave enough room for exploration and development. Tanya Yvonne has made a promising start, though, with Alexander.

Tanya Yvonne's website is www.tanyayvonne.com

Alexander by Tanya Yvonne. AuthorHouse, ©2007, ISBN 978-1-4343-0934-1 (paperback), 109p.

4 comments:

Maria said...

It does sound interesting. But I also gotta say, that is one awful cover...

Lesa said...

The cover does say quite a lot about Alexander, though. He doesn't know his father, or his true background.

However, I know how difficult it can be to convince readers to pick up a book with an unappealing cover.

Maria said...

I never used to pay attention to covers--even as a purchaser until I started writing. Then when I worked at the library I often heard a patron say, "Oh the cover looked interesting." I started asking people and reading blogs and it turns out that a lot of people are influenced by covers.

I probably am too, but never noticed it. The premise of a book is much more important to me than the cover, but there's probably a "ooh, it's ugly" that keeps me from picking up some books that I don't really notice consciously. Whether the cover depicts things logically for the book or not, I'm not likely to find out if I never pick it up...

Of course, on the web, sometimes I don't see the cover until after I've read something about the book and I can honestly say that I've never *not* read a book after being interested and finding that the cover was ugly. Hmm. There's a double negative or two in that sentence.

But I can also honestly say that sometimes a cover (on the web) will catch my eye and I'll immediately go read the premise to see what the book is about!

Lesa said...

You do learn a lot about people's interest in covers working in a library, don't you, Maria? I used to tell another librarian when we did book selection, interesting plot, but I couldn't sell the cover. Sometimes, I didn't buy books because the covers were so bad that I knew my patrons wouldn't pick them up. But, you have to know your audience, and I did know mine.