Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told

It doesn't do much for your ego to read two books in a row filled with information that you didn't know. I have to admit, I'm addicted to Rick Beyer's books. His latest one is The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy. His earlier ones, The Greatest Stories Never Told and The Greatest War Stories Never Told are equally fascinating.

In conjunction with The History Channel, Beyer researched and compiled 100 short stories about presidential history. Each entry is two pages long, so the book can be read in one sitting, or enjoyed piece by piece. They're compiled in chronological order, beginning in 1620.

If John Howland hadn't been rescued when he washed off the deck of the Mayflower, he wouldn't have married and had numerous descendants that include Franklin D. Roosevelt and both George Bushes. Other descendants include Humphrey Bogart, Alec Baldwin, and Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

Richard Nixon, who was forced to leave office, in part because of the Watergate break-in, took part in an earlier break-in when he and two friends broke into the dean's office at Duke Law School to find out their grades. Had they been caught, there might not have been a later crisis in government.

These kind of anecdotes fill all of Rick Beyer's books. His latest, The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told, is a welcome addition to any history buff's library.

The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy by Rick Beyer. Collins, ©2007. ISBN 978-0060760182 (hardcover), 214p.

7 comments:

Joy said...

Oh Lesa! Another great possibility! I'm writing it down.

Rick Beyer said...

Lesa, thanks for the lovely review of my latest book, The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told. It is greatly appreciated!

I saw your other post about Hank Phillipi, and it made my laugh at what a small world it is, because Hank and I used to work together at a Boston TV station some 20 years ago. I don't think that either of us expected that 20 years down the road people all around the country would be reading our books. Well, I can say for sure that I didn't!

Lesa said...

Rick,

I'm totally addicted to your books. I've read The Greatest War Stories Never Told twice. And, if you go to www.blogcritics.org, and check out books, there's a slightly different review there. That went up yesterday as well.

It is a small world! That's odd that I'd review your book and Hank Phillippi Ryan's within such a short period of time. I hope you both have continued good luck with them.

Lesa said...

Joy - If your son is a history buff, any of Rick Beyer's books are terrific. I've read The Greatest War Stories Never Told twice.

Joy said...

Not the one I was originally referring to, but I have another one that would be. Thanks again! :)

Pageturners said...

Oh for a time machine...

Lesa said...

A time machine, for a number of reasons, sounds fascinating.