Sunday, September 02, 2007

October's Bestsellers At a Guess

I hope readers realize that when I suggest possible bestsellers, I'm concentrating on fiction titles. It's obvious that Bill Clinton's Giving (How Each of Us Can Change the World) will be a bestseller, but I hate to get into a discussion of all the political books. Rather than discuss religion, money and politics, I pick fiction titles. Now's the time to place holds on these forthcoming books at your local library, or order them ahead of time from your favorite bookstore. Here are my ideas as to the October bestsellers.

I'm picking -

Vince Flynn's latest thriller - Protect and Defend
Ken Follett's followup to The Pillars of the Earth - World Without End
Charlaine Harris' An Ice Cold Grave
Iris Johansen's Pandora's Daughter
Jan Karon's first Father Tim novel - Home to Holly Springs
Of course, Robert B. Parker's new Spenser novel, Now and Then
Terry Pratchett is finally making the lists. His new book is Making Money.
Following the success of Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon

Question - Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta's books are slipping in popularity. Her new book Book of the Dead will probably make the list. How long will it stay on the list? My guess is that it will slip quickly.

I'm sure these books won't all crack the lists, but it's fun to guess ahead of time. Take your pick!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesa,

I agree with you about Patricia Cornwell. I quit reading her books a long time ago and honestly don't think my life is any the poorer for it! I do wish her books didn't take up so much space in the bookstores because that space could be used to display the works of relatively unknown authors. It's hard for new authors to generate an audience when so much time/space/mpney is devoted to those who would seel books anyway. It's like having a Little League batter compete with Barry Bonds.

Janis Watson

Lesa said...

A good number of our library patrons have given up on her, too. We order fewer of her books than we used to. Leaves more money for Little Leaguers! I love your baseball analogy, Jan!