Friday, September 07, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle Died



According to Publishers Weekly, Madeleine L'Engle died last night in Connecticut, at the age of 88. L'Engle was best known for her children's books, particularly the Newbery Medal winner, A Wrinkle in Time, and its sequels, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time.

I met Madeleine L'Engle in Washington, D.C. when I was in grad school. I was one of the first in line to have her autograph what was then her time trio. I still have it in a boxed set. You can imagine how disappointed I was in some ways when she added a fourth book and then a fifth, that I didn't have autographed.

I know she signed the same for everyone, but it seemed very special that she wrote comments in each of her books, relating to the science in the books. She wrote something about tesseracts in A Wrinkle in Time, and something about mitochondria in A Wind in the Door. I probably couldn't tell you much about science from school, but I can tell you that a wrinkle, a tesseract, is the shortest distance between two points.

Thank you, Madeleine L'Engle, for such special books, and a wonderful memory.

Madeleine L'Engle's obituary in the New York Times can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/08/books/07cnd-lengle.html?hp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw... I know it was inevitable, but I still sense a light extinguished in the world of literature.

Jayne

Lesa said...

Jayne,

What a beautiful sentiment. You're right. I feel the same way. Those very special authors are never supposed to die. My very wise youth services librarian said to me, today, though, that in one way, they never do.

Thank you.