Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Where Has the Mystery Midlist Gone?

Diana Tixier Herald has an excellent article about midlist mysteries on the Readers Advisor Online blog. Although the blog is directed at librarians, anyone interested in mysteries will appreciate the article. It discusses the smaller publishers who have emerged to publish mysteries since many of the big publishers have cut back.

Publishers covered include Perseverance Press, Midnight Ink, Poisoned Pen Press, Rue Morge Press, and several others.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Thanks for sharing this. I think it is interesting that I just commented on how much I am enjoying so many mysteries that Poisoned Pen Press releases.

Lesa said...

You're right, Kay. As a mystery reader, I'm glad some of the small, independent presses such as Poisoned Pen Press have stepped up.

Maria said...

I think she left out Capital Crime Press! (well, there are probably other ones too!) I've read a couple of fine mysteries from Capital Crime:

47 Rules was pretty good,
I've heard excellent things about Shark Baby and I really enjoyed Murder Suicide Whatever--it was a hoot!

Maria said...

No, no, that should have been:

Baby Shark by Robert Fate that I'm planning on reading!!!

Lesa said...

I agree, Maria. She should have mentioned Capital Crime Press. They've had some very good mysteries. I enjoy Bob Fate's, and I'm looking forward to The One Minute Assassin by Troy Cook.