Wednesday, July 11, 2007

E.B. White



Today would have been the birthday of Elwyn Brooks White, better known to millions of readers as E.B. White. Born July 11, 1899, White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist. To writers and journalists, he may be best known for his writers' style guide, The Elements of Style. To those of us who love children's books, he's known as the author of Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan.

Charlotte's Web is a book that I cried over. And, I saw both versions of the movie and cried over them. My youngest sister, who is now in her forties, still remembers when I took her to see the earliest version, and embarrassed her by sitting there and crying. Fortunately for her, I went to see the most recent version with my husband, who tolerates me when I cry over movies, sappy commercials and good books.

Thank you, E.B. White, for Charlotte's Web, from one contented reader.

2 comments:

ollie1976 said...

This is one of my favorite books-when I was in elementary school-I probably took it out of the library at least 20 times.
-Jen

Lesa said...

Jen - Were you like me, and cried everytime you read it?