Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Best of Friends: Two Women, Two Continents, and One Enduring Friendship



This is a beautiful book to recommend to your sisters, your friends, and the people you've shared life with. Authors Sara James and Ginger Mauney have written a moving story of a friendship that has covered over thirty years. It's a book to share.

James called their friendship, "Lives entirely opposite. Lives uncannily similar. Separated by thousands of miles, yet woven together by time and temperament, by circumstances and serendipity." Sara and Ginger have known each other since they were twelve, and their friendship deepened after a slumber party where Ginger revealed a family secret. Both had dreams of breaking away from their hometown in Virginia. Ginger made her first attempt by looking for love with a tennis player. Sara went searching for a good story since she wanted to become a journalist.

Over the years, they found themselves losing their identities, chasing their dreams. Ginger went to Africa in 1987, dreaming of becoming a filmmaker, a wildlife photographer. She found the beauty and enchantment, romance and sorrow of Africa. Sara, who had dreams of working for the NBC network in New York, slowly worked her way up, sacrificing her personal life in the process.

James' life has included Virginia, New York City, Desert Shield, Somalia, Australia, family and close friends. Mauney's life went from Virginia to the professional tennis circuit to Namibia in Africa. But, no matter what, the two were always there for each other, for each personal crisis and triumph. The Best of Friends is a powerful book of shared friendship and love.

Personal note: James and Mauney include an acknowledgment to their editor, Jennifer Pooley, and I wanted to extend my own thanks. When I posted a picture of Sara James and Ginger Mauney, along with Marjorie Hart, author of Summer at Tiffany, Jennifer wrote to say thank you since she was the editor of both books. We had never corresponded, but she said thank you for using her books at my brown bag luncheons for librarians because she said, "That means the world to me that you’ve been using it for book talks with librarians (the most powerful women in America bar none as far as I’m concerned)." Thanks to Jennifer, for two enjoyable books, but, most of all sharing her feelings about librarians. She's one more person who was willing to share her stories about her childhood love of libraries and books. As a librarian, I can't say how much I appreciated her comments.

The website for this book is www.thebestoffriendsbook.com

The Best of Friends: Two Women, Two Continents, and One Enduring Friendship by Sara James and Ginger Mauney. William Morrow, ©2007. ISBN 978-0-06-077948-1 (hardcover), 333p.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Hi Lesa! I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I feel like I have won the lottery!!! What a terrific find! I've only browsed through a little bit, but I will be back for sure. Thank you for taking the time to do all you do with this blog. It's fabulous! :)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joy!

I hope I don't disappoint you. I try to post daily, although since I'm in Arizona, sometimes my post will be late in the day for many people. I do book reviews, quotes, comments about authors. Keep coming back!