Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Young people DO read

There's been discussion lately on DorothyL, the mystery list, about young people not reading. I beg to differ. Yesterday, PW had a picture from Austin where 1600 parents and kids showed up for author Rick Riordan, debuting the third book in a trilogy, The Titan's Curse. It make take that long for some authors to build an audience.

We asked Stephenie Meyer to appear at the library here when her first book, Twilight, came out. Meyer made her first appearance at any library at the Velma Teague Library in Glendale, AZ. She drew a small crowd.

Now, teenage girls are flying in from all over the country, and even London, to attend Eclipse Proms, held at Arizona State University's Tempe campus. Changing Hands Bookstore sponsored the events, which drew 500 teens to each of two proms. Eclipse doesn't even come out until August, but readers wanted the chance to meet Stephenie Meyer.

Geri Koeppel tells the story in today's Arizona Republic.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0508vampire0508.html

2 comments:

Kay said...

I love Rick Riodan's books. The kids in my city are reading up a storm. Boys and girls are asking for his Percy series. I also love Stephanie Meyer's books and we cannot keep them on the shelves at all at our library. I can't wait for August and "Eclipse". There are some great books out there in YA fiction.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay! Great to hear! I've decided instead of just telling people my experiences, I'm going to share the great stories about kids reading. Kids are reading more than people think.