Monday, April 02, 2007

When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple


Later today, I'll be posting the list of books read during March. Life interrupted, with a big surprise. In fact, it was a weekend of surprises. Sunday, April 1 was my 50th birthday. I thought it was just going to be a nice weekend with my husband, Jim, and we'd go to dinner and enjoy the time together.

I didn't expect to open the door Saturday at noon and find my mother, Liz Growel, and my two sisters, Linda Crawford and Christie Harper, standing at the door. They had flown in from Ohio to surprise me. In January, Mom decided to come out for my birthday. Christie's husband suggested she come, too. They called Linda who agreed, and then told Jim they were coming. He made arrangements for them to rent a guest suite right here on the property, which was a terrific deal, and a great place. We had a wonderful afternoon cheering for Ohio State in the OSU/Georgetown basketball game. Linda, Christie and Jim decided to "take a walk" around 5 pm, and it was just as big a shock when they walked in with Jamie Shaheen, my college roommate. Jamie and I share the April 1st birthday. It was a fun evening with lots of talk and laughter.

Sunday morning, we went to church, then met Jamie and Jim at the Coffee Bean. Linda rode home on the back of Jim's scooter. We had a quick lunch, and went out to the mall because they'd already made an appointment for us to get family pictures taken. Jamie went, too, and she and I had pictures taken together. We had a ball. It was so much fun. We played tourist for a little, and arrived home about 4:30. We crashed for a little, then everyone "took a walk through the development" before going to dinner. We never made it to dinner. We arrived at the club house; I walked in; and my library staff, the library director, and the other library managers were all there for a surprise party. It was the warmest evening, just so nice.

Jim had saved his presents to give at the party. His theme was, you're now 50, and eligible to join the Red Hat Society. So he gave me a red hat, a purple dress, and a beautiful plaque with the poem from Jenny Joseph on it.

I can't believe that all those library people gave up their Sunday night to come to my birthday party. They are so thoughtful.

I can't say enough about what a wonderful job Jim did making the arrangements and keeping it a secret since January. He said he had so much help from the staff for the party. He also said he, my Mom and the staff had a terrible time keeping the secret all that time.

They all left at 7:30 this morning, after the best birthday, and one of the nicest weekends of my life. It's not so bad turning fifty. (smile)

As Jenny Joseph says, "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple with a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me....Maybe I ought to practice a little now? So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised, when suddenly I am old and start to war purple."

Warning: When I Am an Old Woman and Start to Wear Purple by Jenny Joseph. Souvenir Press, ©2001. ISBN 978-0285634114 (hardcover), 32p.

10 comments:

Sallyb said...

Oh Lesa, what a fabulous weekend for you! Don't you just love birthdays. Kudos to Jim for doing such a great job at spiriting everyone in without your knowledge. Best wishes to you.
Sally B.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Sally! Jim will be so pleased with the kudos. He's exhausted today. He said between coordinating arrangements, trying to keep the secret, and balancing everything, he was under alot of stress. He loved it all, but he's glad it's over.

He did a wonderful job!

Theresa N. said...

Happy Birthday!!

Heather said...

Hi Lesa!
What a wonderful birthday surprise! Boy, Jim really outdid himself this time!
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Heather

Lesa said...

Thank you, Theresa. It was a wonderful birthday!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Heather! Jim will be so pleased with your comment. Yes, he did a spectacular job!

Thanks!

Love,
Lesa

Lonnie Cruse said...

Lesa,

Congratulations on your 50th! And 50 IS fun. I hope you do join the Red Hat Society. I belong to the Forget-Me-Not chapter in Metropolis. Fun gals and lunch out is ALWAYS good!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Lonnie! I'll wait until I find the right group. Then it'll be fun!

shari said...

Lesa,
You look wonderful. Just found your blog. Brightened my day. I am soooo happy for you. Shari

Lesa said...

Thank you, Shari! I'm glad the blog brightened your day. I hope you come back regularly. And, every Friday I run a contest on my blog to give away ARCs or books. Check it out if you're interested.