Thursday, January 18, 2007

Behind Closed Doors



Jannie Fox ran from her Mormon wedding, and her previous life in the Mormon Church after her fiancế raped her. Five years later, she works in a YWCA Women's Shelter in Salt Lake City helping other victims, but she hasn't found a way to help herself. When her best friend, Melissa, disappears, apparently the victim of spousal violence, Jannie is forced out of her isolation. Detective Colt Singer of the Salt Lake City Police Dept. forces her to confront her fears, when he needs her help searching for Melissa. Unfortunately, Melissa's husband and Jannie's ex-fiancế are entwined in the case, and Jannie must also face her past and her history with the Mormon Church.

The only flaw in Collins' book is the speed at which Jannie, a scared woman, falls for Detective Singer. However, this is a fast-paced, intriguing book with a revealing look into a world most of us have not seen. It's the story of a woman betrayed by her church and her family. Collins' information about the Mormon Church, its rituals and beliefs, is fascinating to an outsider. Behind Closed Doors is a suspenseful novel with a likeable heroine.


Natalie R. Collins website is www.nataliercollins.com

Behind Closed Doors by Natalie R. Collins. St. Martin's Paperbacks, ©2007. ISBN 9780312934866 (paperback), 336p.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I have been looking forward to this book and am glad to see you enjoyed it. Have you checked out her other book, Wives and Sisters? I really, really enjoyed that one and also liked the inside look at the Mormon church, which I am fascinated with.

Lesa said...

Hi Kristie!

No, I haven't read Wives and Sisters, but I'm going to look for it. Living in Arizona, the Mormon Church is in the news a lot more than it was when I lived in Florida. It is interesting, isn't it? Have you checked out Natalie's website? She has a blog on which she talks about the church. I subscribed to it today.

Kristie said...

Yup, I have her blog bookmarked. I haven't gotten to this one, but have really looked forward to it. I am fascinated with the Mormon life, and watch all of the news reports and everything. I am from Michigan, so there is not that much reporting here, but it really interests me. The first one is great too. I hope you enjoy it. If you can't find it let me know, I think I still my copy which is hardcovered (old from a library that I got on Amazon) that I would be more than happy to send to you. I never reread books, so they just collect dust.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kristie! We have copies in the library here. I just have to find time to get to it. I'm backed up at the moment. I review books for Library Journal, and I have one to review there, and a manuscript for a publisher should arrive in the mail today. Both of those have deadlines. I'm looking forward to Wives and Sisters, though, when I get a chance.