Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ann Brashares at Changing Hands Bookstore


Today, we took a field trip from the library and took some teens to see Ann Brashares at Changing Hands Bookstore. Brashares, author of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, has her last book in the series out now, Forever in Blue.

We had rented a bus and bought twenty-four copies of the books from Changing Hands, hoping we would have twenty teens and the four chaperones. We were disappointed that we only had four kids sign up. I guess we just don't have the right audience among our kids. Instead, when we left the library, the police were rounding up some of our teens. Wrong audience for Sisterhood, you think?

Those of us who went had a great time. Even when I found out the low number, I wouldn't have cancelled the trip because I knew there were some very excited kids. I wouldn't disappoint them. It took us almost an hour to get there, and we had to stand in the back in a very crowded room, but it was fun to see all the excited teens in the room. Our kids were excited, picked up patches for their jeans, posters, and had their books personalized and autographed. They all appreciated it, so it was well worth it. We had the rest of the books just autographed, and we'll give them away as prizes in teen programs.

Brashares was just fine, talking about a wedding dress she shared with three friends. She answered questions about worrying about the aging of her characters, and mature situations while she still has young readers. I was just pleased that we were able to give four kids the chance to meet and hear an author.

2 comments:

Theresa N. said...

It's so great you didn't cancel the trip because of the numbers. I would have loved going to a book signing as a teenager.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Theresa. No, I certainly didn't want to disappoint any teens.

I'm with you. I would have loved going to a book signing, too. I didn't meet my first author until I was an adult, and I am still in awe of authors.