Tuesday, December 26, 2006

For Daniel

On Christmas, I talked with my sister, Linda. Naturally, at this time of year, we talked about gifts we received. But, Linda and I also talked about this blog, and her son, Danny, who is a reader. Almost everyone in my extended family reads, and reads alot. We're all eclectic readers, dipping into a little of everything. Linda said that Danny reads a little of everything, and she bought him a book and encouraged him to keep track of the books he's read. In recent years, I've kept track of all the books I've read. I also own the log that my Grandmother, Danny's Greatgrandmother, kept of the books she read.

Danny's in junior high, and Linda said he's seriously thinking about being a librarian. She also laughed and said she thinks it's because he thinks he could read all day.

Daniel, you and the other members of our family have already received a great gift. The following quote is for you.

"The great gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites. It gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination." - Elizabeth Hardwick

2 comments:

Lonnie Cruse said...

I love that quote, and this is the first time I've read it. I've adored reading for as long as I can remember, and losing myself in the author's world. Good luck to your nephew.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Lonnie! Daniel will be so pleased that an author actually wished him good luck.

It is a wonderful quote for us readers, isn't it?